Halogen light problem

Old 03-03-07, 08:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Halogen light problem

Need ideas. I have a halogen light on a ceiling fan that won't stay on. Sometimes, it won't come on when the wall switch is turned on, and other times, it will come on and then go off. So, I don't think it is a heat problem. There doesn't seem to be a heat sensor in the fixture.

First off, I thought it was the bulb, which is 150 watts, and I put in a new one. Still the same problem.

I have checked all the connections except the ones at the ceiling box. This is a 20' high ceiling and I am hoping to find something other than that connection being the problem.

Thanks
Smitty

Old 03-03-07, 10:34 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What are you useing for a switch? how old is it? could be tired.

Next step may be the connection in the fan.

Old 03-03-07, 10:54 AM
S
Question

I have a new wall switch because I thought the old one may have been bad. Sometimes, when the light doesn't come on, I can flip the wall switch on and off and the light will come on. I have redone the connections in the fan where the light connects. I am afraid that I have to get to the ceiling box and check that connection as that is the only one left.

Thanks
Smittty

Old 03-03-07, 08:32 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I've never seen a fan rated for a 150-watt bulb. Just as an experiment, try a 40-watt bulb and see if you have the same problem. Unless the fixture is rated for a 150-watt bulb, the fact that the bulb goes off is probably what is saving your house from burning down. Many homes have burned to the ground for no greater sin than overwatting a lighting fixture.

Old 03-04-07, 01:52 PM
S
Here is a picture of a light similiar to mine. It comes with a 150 W halogen bulb.

http://www.bellacor.com/detail.cfm?Cat=38&ItemID=137398&partid=froogle-DataFeed

Smitty

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: