Doing some bathroom work

Old 03-05-07, 11:08 AM
jn
Doing some bathroom work

I am finishing out a guest bathroom that was previously roughed in and partially finshed. The wiring for the outlet by the sink was already done and inspected. The only wiring work left to do was to add an exhaust fan and light. There was a very lightly loaded 20 amp circuit in the area to accomplish the task.
The problem / question I have with the job is that the circuit that powers the outlet that was previously wired also supplies power to a light for a small storage area under the stairs. It is on a 20 amp GFIC protected circuit. As I said...this isn't something that I just did. This work was completed and inspected before. The wiring is behind drywall and is just something I stumbled upon while figuring out the best place to do what I needed to do. The inspector was aware of this situation and allowed it. Common sense is telling me not to worry about it because the load from the light in the storage area is minute and very rarely used. Another part of me says this is a code violation because the bathroom receptacle should not be supplying power to the closet. Is there any reason that I should concern myself with for this situation or am I just overthinking it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-07, 11:59 AM
My guess is that you are probably overthinking this. It is a code violation, and I'm not sure if it was ever legal. This kind of violation is easy to overlook in an inspection, so it may have been a violation even when it was inspected. But it's a pretty small code violation, not only because the storage light is a small draw, but because it is rarely on.

If it's easy to correct, do so. But I wouldn't go tearing into a wall to do it right now.

Old 03-05-07, 01:59 PM
jn
Thanks for your opinion John. I'll take one more look at it when the rest of the design is closer to being finished. If it is an easy fix I will take care of it then, otherwise I'll move on. I just wanted some extra comfort knowing that I wasn't missing something here that could come back and be a problem. They wrote the code that way for a reason, I would guess because of the large loads on bathroom outlets but I didn't know if there was some other reason that I was missing that someone would point out....