Lost electric

Old 03-07-07, 11:10 AM
Lost electric

I lost electricty in 2 rooms of my house. I am not an electrician but I had one look at the problem. He could not figure it out. I do not know if I lost a circuit or part of a circuit or where the disconnect is. Can anyone suggest what may have caused this and how I would go about fixing it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 11:25 AM
Dead Circuit

Look for tripped GFCI receptacles and reset.
Check service panel for blown fuses or tripped breakers.
Reset all breakers one at a time.

If none of this works, you have a loose connection.

Has any kind of work been done which may have caused this?

Old 03-07-07, 12:16 PM
A better electrician?

Old 03-07-07, 12:46 PM
Wow. We're starting out from a really deep hole here. Start by finding the disconnect. It's crazy scary to live in a place where you don't know where the main disconnects are (electrical, gas, water). This information could be a life-or-death matter.

And it just boggles my mind that you had an electrician there who could not figure this out. That's no electrician I've ever heard of.

Old 03-07-07, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I lost electricty in 2 rooms of my house.

There are a few causes of this problem. The simplest is a tripped breaker or blown fuse. If you have breakers, switch each one off then back on and see if power comes back. If you have fuses, test each circuit with a known good fuse.

Next look for a tripped GFCI receptacle with TEST and RESET buttons somewhere in the house and press its RESET button. Common locations are in the basement, garage, bathroom or outdoors; however it could be anywhere -- be sure to look behind stuff stacked against garage and basement walls.

If you haven't found the problem yet, then you have a loose or broken connection somewhere along the circuit. It is usually the white (neutral) wire has come loose or burned off at the first non-working receptacle or last working receptacle on the circuit. It could be either the black or white wire. The only remedy for this problem is to de-energize the circuit or the main, open up each junction box on the circuit and check all the connections until you find the bad one. Wires backstabbed into receptacles are notorious for failing in this manner.

> but I had one look at the problem. He could not figure it out.

I hope you didn't pay him -- he's clearly incompetent and/or lazy.