Outlet upgrade

Old 03-07-07, 12:43 PM
vin
Outlet upgrade

I am presently changing all of my outlets in a room to 3 prong grounded outlets. the original house wiring does not have a ground wire. Should I connect the ground leg on the outlet to the neutral, or leave it disconnected?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 01:04 PM
First of all, code does not allow you to do this, unless you have a ground. Note that it is theoretically possible to have a ground without having a grounding wire. If you have metal boxes and metal conduit, that may serve as a ground.

Second, interconnecting the neutral and grounding connections at a receptacle is so dangerous that it borders on suicidal.

The code-compliant way to do this is to replace the receptacles with GFCI or GFCI-protected receptacles. Depending on how the room is wired, you may or may not need a GFCI device at each location.

Old 03-07-07, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Should I connect the ground leg on the outlet to the neutral, or leave
> it disconnected?

Connecting the ground and neutral is very dangerous. Whatever you do, do not do that. The ground can be left disconnected if GFCI protection is provided upstream.

I just wrote up this information for another poster who has a very similar question. See this thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=297164

Old 03-07-07, 01:49 PM
Do not install three prong receptacles unless you either have a proper ground, provide a proper ground, or provide GFCI protection.

Old 03-07-07, 02:08 PM
vin
outlet upgrade

Thanks for your immediate responses.
I have 2 wire roemex (1958).
So what you are saying is that I should NEVER plug a three wire plugn in this room even with the use of a properly wired adapter? How is someone to know this without removing the outlet and inspecting the wiring?

Old 03-07-07, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> How is someone to know this without removing the outlet and inspecting
> the wiring?

There is no way without inspecting and testing the wiring for a ground. I believe the 2-prong to 3-prong converters should be illegal as there are virtually no situations in which they can be used correctly.

Old 03-07-07, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that three prong adapters should be banned. If that happened then people would be either cutting the ground pin off the plug; making their own adapter using an extension cord, or installing three prong adapters everywhere. They need to be properly used, or not used at all.

Old 03-07-07, 07:24 PM
vin
Thanks for the solid advice. I'm going with the GFI's.

Old 03-07-07, 07:43 PM
To make each receptacle a GFCI may prove rather costly. If the case may permit, changing over to a GFCI breaker is a little more cost effective, and easier. It really only makes sense however if you have 6 or more outlets.

Old 03-08-07, 03:34 PM
vin
What is the difference between GFI and GFCI?

Old 03-08-07, 03:42 PM
None. They are two terms for the same thing.