Wire Pull

Old 03-07-07, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wire Pull

I am trying to run 12-2 wire down a 2/2 inch wire way through 2x12's on 16 inch centers. The total pull is about 18 feet and ends about 2 feet from the breaker box. I am thinking about disconnecting a existing wire from the breaker box connecting the fish to the wire and pulling the fish through using the wire. Then pulling the existing wire and the new wire back through the run. Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

The only thought I have, Is ..What are your thoughts?

It may be a Typo, but ... I'm not sure what you have.

Old 03-07-07, 07:43 PM
What exactly is a "2/2 inch wire way"?

Is the space finished?

If the existing cable is not stapled anywhere, and if there are no bends, and if the path is large enough, you may be able to do what you want. But that's a lot of ifs.

Can you provide any more information?

Old 03-07-07, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes that was a typo. It should have been a 2 1/2 inch hole in the 2x12's with a bunch of wires going through it. Hope that makes it clear. It is in the garage ceiling and above floor, it is sheet rocked. Trying to not cut more sheetrock.

Old 03-07-07, 08:25 PM
Worth a try. Might work. Don't pull so hard you damage the existing cable.

If it doesn't, it's pretty trivial to remove some drywall and then repair it, especially on a garage ceiling where it doesn't need to be cosmetically perfect.

Old 03-07-07, 08:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not a bad idea. Nice to see some can be rational (logical). This would be my first thought, if available... use it.

Just be very sure it goes back correctly. Don't force it and destroy the insulation on the new or the old.

We don't need silly posts. " I fixed one thing, and detroyed two others". Do A search......

Old 03-08-07, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can't hurt to use some wire pulling lube if there are multiple cables through these joists. It won't do much to keep the cable from binding on the wood, but could help prevent the cable from twisting and binding against the other parallel cables.

Old 03-08-07, 08:54 AM
Note that ibpooks suggested using wire pulling lubricant. Do not substitute anything else, such as petroleum jelly (Vaseline), oil or hand cream. Only use wire pulling lubricant.

Old 03-08-07, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Note that ibpooks suggested using wire pulling lubricant. Do not substitute anything else, such as petroleum jelly (Vaseline), oil or hand cream. Only use wire pulling lubricant.
Bob, will petroleum jelly, oil or hand cream damage the sheathing and/or wire? I ask because I had a problem getting past one area when I was running some new 12/2 NM wire. I ended up lubing my cable (no pun intended) with vaseline, to get it through that tough spot.

Old 03-08-07, 10:21 AM
Yes, Vaseline will damage the cable. It is petroleum based. It will destroy plastic. Replace the cable.

Old 03-08-07, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Success, easy pull. Thanks for all the support.