How to install wallplate where gang box is offset

Old 03-08-07, 11:07 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to install wallplate where gang box is offset

We had some built in bookshelves put in, however, the side of the shelves partially cover up the gang box(particularly where the screw holes for the wallplates are) where my in-wall speaker cables come out. Thus, I can not attach the wall plates to the gang box. The problem is if I shift the wallplate to try to screw into the drywall, either the top or the bottom of the wallplate has no where to attach too.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-07, 11:20 AM
R
Is this a permanent book case?

Old 03-08-07, 12:18 PM
J
This should have been addressed when the bookshelf was installed. The bookshelves should have been altered to accommodate the outlet, or the outlet should have been moved prior to the installation of the bookshelves.

If this is all low-voltage audio wire, then all you have is a cosmetic problem. There are probably a lot of potential solutions involving decorative items. Maybe a decorative tile with a hole in it for the wires to come out. Maybe something attached with some sort of adhesive, or picture hooks. Maybe a decorative piece of fabric to hide the whole thing. Let your imagination run wild.

Old 03-08-07, 09:22 PM
U
So using a regular plastic wall plate is out of the question?

And yes, these are premanent (Built ins around the fireplace)

How about epoxy or PIG putty? Are there any products out there that allow me to add additional screw holes to an existing gang box?

Old 03-08-07, 09:44 PM
J
Can you carefully cut off one side of the plate so that you can use the normal screw holes?

Old 03-09-07, 08:02 AM
U
Hi John

Yes. I thought about that, however, on one of the gang boxes, the screw hole is almost flush to the bookcase...should I just use some sort of adhesive?

Thanks

Old 03-09-07, 08:24 AM
J
jn
If it is just a covering for low voltage speaker wires you could pretty much do whatever you want.
Trim up a platic plate and put a dab of hot melt glue on the back and stick in in place or whatever...
You could put a bead of caulk around it and tape it in place until it sets up and then caulk to the finished bookcase to give it a cleaner look if your cutting skills leave something to be desired.

Old 03-09-07, 08:29 AM
J
Well, you could just glue it on if you don't think you're going to want to take it off any time soon.

Another trick that seems to work for some people but not for others is this. Put a glob of epoxy on the box where it will line up with the screw in the plate. Let it dry. Drill a little hole into the dried epoxy, and screw into that.

You could also make your own plate out of something (wood, tile, sheet plastic, sheet metal, hard rubber...). Make it fit into the looks of the room. Make it oversized so that you can screw it into some drywall anchors installed above and below the box.

This is all low-voltage audio cable, right? I'm not sure I saw you confirm that.

Old 03-09-07, 08:43 AM
J
jn
Another thought...
You could glue or wedge a block of wood to the top and bottom of the box and then drill an undersized hole in them that lines up with the holes in the plate. Then you would at least have something to screw to and be able to remove it when necessary.

Old 03-09-07, 11:06 AM
U
Question

Good ideas -

Yes, its low-voltage (speaker wire only).

I'll go look for the epoxy (any recommendations what I should be looking for?) and maybe have some wood blocks laying around

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Old 03-09-07, 11:21 AM
J
jn's idea sounds pretty good to me.

I should emphasize to all readers of this thread that all of these suggestions are good for low-voltage only. Don't do any of these things to a line-voltage box!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: