Hunter bathroom fan switch

Old 03-08-07, 10:58 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hunter bathroom fan switch

Hi All.

I'm going to be installing a Hunter 271279 bathroom exhaust fan switch with a hunter exhaust fan.

My understanding is that a switch leg should be wired from the device to the switch with three-wire (Red, black, white, and ground). However the switch in question has two black wires and a bare ground. According to the installation instructions, switch black to switch leg black; switch black 2 to switch leg white; and ground to ground.

I can re-run a two-wire switch leg (since the walls and ceilings are still open) but I'd prefer to use the existing three-wire, but I'm not sure what to do with the extra wire

Any thoughts??

Dewey

Old 03-08-07, 11:27 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure you got that Hunter model number right?

Old 03-08-07, 11:39 AM
R
Cap the extra wire on both ends and do not use it.

Old 03-08-07, 03:01 PM
D
Thanks...

Thanks John and Racraft for the quick responses.

John - you got me. I fat fingered that one (they are fat, so I'm not picking on anyone with the same issue . It should be 27179.

Racraft - thanks. I was hoping it would be a simple solution.

Dewey

Old 03-09-07, 10:40 AM
J
jn
The extra wire might come in handy in the future if that switch should ever fail and you couldn't find similar replacement. Since you have the extra wire a much less expensive unit could be used to replace the one you have chosen. For now I would do as racraft recommended and cap both ends. The 27179 is a nice package and is typically used when you don't have the extra wire and want to power a fan and light...

Old 03-09-07, 11:27 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I haven't looked through Hunter's catalog, but you might be able to find something less expensive since you have the extra wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: