Upgraded Sub Panel

Old 03-02-07, 08:36 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Upgraded Sub Panel

Hello.

I'm in the process of planning a kitchen remodel, and due to requiring additional circuits, upgrading my FPE fused subpanel as well.

Question #1: Do you think keeping the subpanel at 60A is reasonable (with the existing 6-3 w/ground) - or should I run a new feeder 4-3 w/g for a 100A subpanel?

Existing subpanel loads/circuits:
AC Condenser (30A/240v existing circuit)
2 existing general purpose 20A circuits (lighting & receptacles)

New subpanel loads/circuits:
15A Refrigerator
20A kitchen countertop circuit
20A kitchen countertop circuit
15A Gas range / hood
20A Dishwasher + Disposal
20A built-in Microwave
15A kitchen lighting (800w anticipated)

It seems like a lot of load for a 60A panel, but I don't want to rewire the whole thing if it's not necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 03-02-07, 08:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not even going to comment on the other issues until you agree to get rid of anything FPE panel or sub in your entire house.

They are fires waiting to happen.

Old 03-02-07, 09:18 PM
J
I assume that by "upgrade" you mean "get rid of". At least I hope so.

When you list the "new" subpanel loads, do you mean in addition to the existing loads, or instead of the existing loads. If the former, then 60 amps is probably insufficient. If the latter, then 60 amps is plenty.

Old 03-03-07, 06:41 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
The sub panel is in addition to. So it sounds like 100A is the way to go.

On the FPE side of things, I was told by the home inspector that while it's an old fuse box, it's not a stab-loc panel, and therefore NOT a hazard.

We don't have to go into the discussion about the home inspector not being an electrician - I realize that, and I always take what they have to say with a grain of salt. But I did additional research when I saw it was an FPE panel, and I could only find issues with the stab lock circuit breaker panels. Are there issues with all FPE panels?

Regardless, yes, I'm ditching the old panel and replacing it with a Sq D QO panel. But the main panel is a similar FPE with a split bus (interesting - I've never seen one like that before). I was planning on doing the sub panel on my own, and then calling in some reinforcements (electrican) for the main panel upgrade.

Thanks to everyone here - if it wasn't for this forum (and a few good books), I wouldn't even have considered this project. But after reading umpteen threads about subpanels, I'm ready to take on this project.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 03-07-07, 06:55 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Wire required?

I thought I had this all in check, but then I went to go buy the materials and got myself all confused.

For feeding a 100A subpanel, do I want 2-0 or 4-0 aluminum wire? I believe they are both SER wire (gray sheathing, 3 conductors with a twisted ground). The sign on the 2-0 wire said "For 100A Main Panel", but the sales rep stated that I could use 4-0 for a 100A subpanel. Not trusting their advice, I figured I'd consult the experts here.

The distance is 90', and it's all indoor.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

-Mike

Old 03-07-07, 08:01 PM
J
You do realize that 4/0 is a heavier wire then 2/0, right?

In any case, neither answer is right. 1/0 is enough if you go aluminum, or #2 if you go copper.

Old 03-08-07, 07:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
John,

Thanks for the quick response. It makes more sense now - especially after referring to some ampacity charts.

Thanks again for the help,
Mike

Old 03-08-07, 04:17 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Charts are great.. I wish I had found them years ago. All the schooling I could have skipped. AHHH Looking back..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: