wiring ceiling fan remote to three-way

Old 03-09-07, 12:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wiring ceiling fan remote to three-way

I have installed a ceiling fan (without light) to a a box that is wired to two three way switches. It works fine with the light switches, but I want to hook up the enclosed remote variable speed control to one of the switch plates. The remote only has two black wires coming out of the back (no ground wire, for some reason). The customer support folks have been of no help. what do I do? Thanks.

Old 03-09-07, 12:53 PM
R
The ground wire is not needed.

What is your intent with the remote? Do you want to use it to turn the fan on and off as well as adjust the speed, or do you just want it to adjust the speed, and continue to use the switches for the on/off operation?

Old 03-09-07, 01:00 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't know of any manufacturer that makes a wall fan control designed to be used in place of a 3-way switch. Maybe there is one, but it certainly isn't the one you have now. So you are really attempting the impossible.

What else can you do? You could rewire one of the three-way switches so that it would be non-functional and the other switch would act like a normal switch, which you could then replace with the wall mount fan control you have now. Or you could use a hand-held remote control instead of a wall mounted one.

Old 03-09-07, 01:31 PM
J
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping one switch could be used as the on off, and that I could then use the remote for the speed control. Possible?

Old 03-09-07, 01:34 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maybe.

Is there a remote receiver up at the fan? I.e., did you install this box thing with wires coming out of it under the bell housing of the fan? Or do you have such a box that you haven't installed yet?

What is the make and model number of the wall unit you have?

Old 03-09-07, 01:52 PM
J
It's not a wireless remote, maybe "wall control" is a better way to put it. The fan is a Harbor Breeze (Item #214705). No model # for the control, which came with it.

Old 03-09-07, 02:14 PM
R
You have the folowing options with this switch:

1) Add this as a third switch, even right next to either of the existing switches. You will control on/off from either location using the existing toggle switches and use this switch to adjust the speed. You will not want to turn the fan off with this speed switch.

2) Replace either switch with this switch. The remaining switch can be used to turn the fan on or off only. This switch will adjust the speed. You will not want to turn the fan off with this speed switch.

3) Replace either switch with this switch and make the remaining switch unused. You will use this switch to turn the fan on and off and adjust it's speed.

Let us know what your desire is. We will also need to know the COMPLETE wiring at each switch, and possibly at the fan.

You may be able to find another switch and use it instead of this one so that you can control the on-off from either location, and the speed from this location.

Old 03-10-07, 07:02 AM
J
I would like to go with option #2, using one switch for on/off, and the other for speed adjustments. The wall switches have one red wire, 2 black wires, and a ground. The fan itself has a black, white, and green. That part is hooked up properly.

Old 03-10-07, 07:49 AM
R
I need to know ALL the wiring. That means the wires that are not connected to the switches or to the light. I also need to know which switch you want to replace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: