3 way switch

Old 03-11-07, 04:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch

I replaced some aged switches in 2 locations. Now I can't seem to get a hallway light to work. It has 2 switches in 2 locations and I replaced these with the correct 3 ways but can't seem to wiring correct.

Stumped

Old 03-11-07, 05:38 AM
R
Assuming the switches work, then you wired things wrong.

Did you pay attention to which wires were on the old traveler and common terminals, and put those same wires on the proper terminals on the new switch? Did you (intentionally or otherwise) change any other wires in either location?

You cannot wire three way switches based on terminal location on the switch. That means nothing, as different manufacturers place the terminals in different locations. Three way switches have one common terminal that is one color (usually black or dark) and two traveler terminals (usually silver), plus possibly one ground (always green).

Finally, there are six ways to connect a three way switch using the three wires. Electrically there are only three ways, as the other three merely have the traveler wires swapped. By trial and error you can achieve proper wiring in nine attempts (3 times 3).

Your attempts will be even easier if you have a meter and can determine which wire brings unswitched power to the switches.

Of course, you can probably tell us the wiring and we can tell you what connections to make.

Old 03-11-07, 07:58 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Tell us all the wires in the switch boxes. We might be able to guide you. If that doen't help we will need to know the wires in the fixture as well.

Can you put back the old switches and make it work? If you can do that then it will be simple to fix this.

Old 03-11-07, 06:18 PM
J
At this point I believe that I paid attention to the old wiring but obviously I didn't pay enough. Old switches have been are long gone in the trash. I have a meter and know how to use it. I can handle identiying the unswitched leads. After this I'm all ears.

Jerry

Old 03-11-07, 06:40 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Using Bob's 9-attempts plan will be faster and simpler than figuring this out with your meter. And you'll get great exercise with all that walking back and forth to the breaker panel. On average, you should achieve success on your fourth or fifth try.

Old 03-12-07, 05:49 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Tell us all the wires in the switch boxes. We might be able to guide you. If that doesn't help we will need to know the wires in the fixture as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: