Wiring Reversing Switch On 3 Hp Motor

Old 03-11-07, 04:42 PM
Thumbs up

note i can 3 wire the motor to the switch no problem also the switch does have a pase in the off as to not throw the motor for ccw tocw with out stoping first if this will help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 04:49 PM
Thumbs up

let me correct my self i can use either 3 or 4 wires but i still need to know how to hook it up i have good #12 wire an plenty of spade conectors to hook it up how ever you all say to .an i sure thak you all fibjr

Old 03-11-07, 04:53 PM
Thumbs up

take a break me i have run to town for a bit ill pick this up when i get back fibjr

Old 03-11-07, 04:53 PM
you go nap. I do not think this can be done with the parts we have on hand.

no matter how I tried to draw the switch, I could not turn the thing off.

I think we need a 3 pole switch or a drum switch.

Old 03-11-07, 05:07 PM
sorry to join in this late;,,

anyway here is the connection digriam for drum switch on single phase motor.

the other thing about drum switch is that when you change rotation on single phase [ 3 phase motor as well ] make sure you coast it down to point where it stop then start up on reverse other wise it will stall and can trip breaker or blow the fuse and some single phase motor can still run the same rotation if you dont stop fully. [ that happend once a while ]

Merci , Marc

Last edited by french277V; 03-11-07 at 06:32 PM. Reason: removed bad link please read below for correct link
Old 03-11-07, 05:43 PM
nap
Yes we can but fibjr needs to have more clarity in his posts. He gave a different connection on the last one and post 9.

fibjr; I will post what I believe you intended. Please post in similar fashion but add in where L1 and L2 are shown and where the cap is connected in both rotations. The manner in which you have been posting is very confusing.

Dotted lines indicate a connection.

CW

Z2---U2
U1---V1---line(#?)

CCW

Z2---U1
U2---V1----line(#?)

please add in any connections I did not include (capacitor connections and the other line connection) and number the line connections as L1 or L2 as appropriate. Correct my connections if I misunderstood you and they are wrong.

I have what I believe is correct.I simply need to be sure I have the info from you as correct first. As jwhite posted, if it gets hooked up wrong, you may be buying another motor and we don;t want that to happen.

Also, in your post earlier, I am not clear as to your answer as to thermal protection. If it is within the motor? Does it have a reset switch?

Jeff; from what I could decipher from the cryptic info, the switch involved has a neutral center position where no contacts are made. I would still recommend a disconnect for this application even though the motor will not run in the center position but there will still be power to at least one motor lead in that position.

Old 03-11-07, 05:53 PM
nap
OK Marc (killjoy), could you give me a page number for that. I thought the index gave pg 52 as motor connections and when I went there it said that page is not part of the preview.

also marc, do you work on the railroad? I seem to remember you posting some info about the engines somewhere and I had some questions.

Old 03-11-07, 06:24 PM
nap
well, it's getting late and I want to post this.

on the switch numbered as jwhite did before

1 2
3 4
5 6

connections

run a jumper from 1--6 and 2--5 (as it ws before I believe)

connect motor leads
U2 to 1
V1 to 3
U1 to 5
and Z2 to 4

connect L1 to 3 and L2 to 4

in this config up should be CCW and down should be CW.

this connection is using the connections you provided in your last info post.

You need to have a disconnect since there is no position in which the motor is totally disconected.

If you have an external thermal reset, you are good after that.

If the thermal protection does not have a manual reset, we need to talk more since this could cause a very unsafe condition.

jwhite and marc; please take a look at this and make sure I am correct.

Old 03-11-07, 06:32 PM
try this link :

http://static.flickr.com/59/187576722_f686c5884a_o.jpg

sorry about that

Nap : yes i did work on railroad before and i work on very large diesel engines both engine and electrical generator system as well if you have a question please do shoot it i will be glad to answer it

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 06:37 PM
Nap becarefull with the jumper link depending on foward or reverse rotation there

please note that the connection are like this

the T5 motor lead goes on term #1
the T4 motor lead goes on term #2
the T8 motor lead goes on term #4
the T1 motor lead goes on term #6

the Line #1 goes on term #2
the Line #2 goes on term #5
have to make a jumper lead on term #3 and #5

please look at the image and you may have to click on enlarge to get see the photo more clearer

Merci , Marc

Last edited by french277V; 03-11-07 at 07:05 PM. Reason: clearifly the connection for the single phase motor connecion
Old 03-11-07, 07:06 PM
nap
you lost me on that diagram. you are showing the switch making connections between 1 and 2 and 5 and 6 as well as having vertical contacts switching with each other.(1-3 and 2-4) and still maintianing connection between 5 and 6.

the switch OP has connects in one postion: 1-3, 2-4, and in the opposing position 3-5, and 4-6.

I'm just trying to work with what our poster has.

Try this if you can. utlize OPs lead designations on that drawing.

U1, V1, V2, and Z2.

CW is Z2-U2, U1-V1
CCW is Z2-U1, U2-V1

maybe I'm just tired but your drawing doesn;t make sense to me.

Old 03-11-07, 07:11 PM
Nap:

ahh my mistake there i did forgot the nonstanard motor leads there therefore i will make the correction just a moment.

thanks for correcting my mistake there

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 07:14 PM
Thumbs up

we are missing something some where an im not sure what it is but the motor an switch i tok off this shaper did run when i got it an it had a little tiny toggle switch that had 6 connections the same as the big one we have now does this big switch is listed as a reversing motor switch . you men are the masters at an know 100% more than i do thats one thing i do know fibjr

Old 03-11-07, 07:25 PM
Thumbs up

im back please tell me what i am supposed to be doing please i am totaly confused please help

Old 03-11-07, 07:30 PM
nap
just relax. we're working on it.

would could take a look at post 46 to be sure I have the correct motor inter-connections?

Old 03-11-07, 07:36 PM
Just hang on a min i just about got the connection line up but do this motor have all the wires the same size or diffrent size and colors ??

once i get it right i will post it in correct format here

please be paintice [sp] with us we are working on this issuse best we can for you

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 07:40 PM
Thumbs up

gentlemen in order to chang the rotation on this motor i have change the jumpers on the motor terminal block which i assume will have to be removed when the switch is wired up am i right

Old 03-11-07, 07:43 PM
nap
correct. the leads will be connected directly to the switch.

If I am understanding what you have, you have some small brass jumpers that connect two posts within the motor terminal box, correct?

If so, you will not be using those jumpers. The switch will act in place of those jumpers.

Old 03-11-07, 07:52 PM
Thumbs up

this motor has a terminal block on it there are no wires or colors to deal with 6 screws thats it iin a little block

Old 03-11-07, 07:55 PM
nap
no problem. you will need to provide a cable or conduit from the motor to the switch to facilitate the connections.

Old 03-11-07, 08:02 PM
Thumbs up

nap you are right an thats what i said i need to remove the jumpers all together

Old 03-11-07, 08:09 PM
ok can you tell me the 6 screw in the termail block once i get the picture of it then i can go ahead make the connection hook up seince this is a stanard motor no starting cap so ,, most single phase motor do have starting switch in the winding so just go ahead and give me the letter or number on the termail block on the motor

myself or other will go from here with drum switch

merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 08:10 PM
Thumbs up

yes i under stad that i have flexable conduit an the conectors all ready to go thanks nap

Old 03-11-07, 08:15 PM
Thumbs up

marc i dont have drum switch this motor has both start an run capacitors yes 2 capacitors

Old 03-11-07, 08:21 PM
While we are trying to reverse the motor, I would like to ask if there are any implications to reversing the motor while it is under load and up at full speed? Is this bad for the motor? Can this overtax the contacts on the reversing switch?

Old 03-11-07, 08:23 PM
humm Fibjr .,,

i dont know if this is possible if you can take a photo and put in the photoshot[.]com

if that possible so i can see the motor name plate more clear and the termails and you really need a reversing switch for this machine ?? if not we can give you correct connection there

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 08:30 PM
Thumbs up

letters an numbers on terminal block z2--u2--v2

u1--v1--z1

caps wired as follows z1 start u2 both caps z1 cap run v1 therminal protector

Old 03-11-07, 08:43 PM
Thumbs up

yes it will take us a few minutes to get it done have to take thepicture then load it in another computer then forward it to me all i our home but it will take a bit now for the switch i dont have a drum switch but i do have a heavy reversing switch i gave all that info befor you came in i believe but it is a heavy switch thanks marc

Old 03-11-07, 08:49 PM
i did try to run the company on the web search and it came up over 28 diffrent manufacter of this one so i just could not pin point the excat manufacter at all.

All i need is the motor name plate that who is the manufacter is it should say the company name somewhere and post it here i can able search it in correct way to get the proper connection for you sorry for my delay but i just want to do it on safe side before anything can happend there

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 08:53 PM
nap
if I find out where you live, I;m gonna come kick your but fibjr.

just kidding.

If you had the facilities to give us photos, why didn;t you say so so long ago?

594tough: if we reverse the motor at full speed, it will create anti-matter and the contact with matter will create an implosion resulting in a black hole and the earth will be sucked into it and become part of the singularity at the center of the black hole.

just kidding.

there won;t be an anti-matter

Old 03-11-07, 08:58 PM
Thumbs up

594 TOUGH the switch i have will not let any one reverice it at full speed it has a pase in it when you switch it it shuts off before going the other direction

Old 03-11-07, 09:02 PM
nap
while we're waiting, Marc, I have been curious as to what voltages and current draws are typical in loco engines.

I've always been in awe of those giants and curious what kind of power is needed to move all that weight.

Old 03-11-07, 09:04 PM
Thumbs up

there is no name or mfg. on this motor at all # is yl90l-2 if that tells you anything at all

Old 03-11-07, 09:06 PM
nap
well guys, I hate to run but I have to go to work in 6 hours. I'll be back tomorrow after 5 pm EDST.

you're in good hands with marc, fibjr. If you all don;t have it by tommorrow, I'll hop back in. Get that picture of the motor connection diagram online.

Old 03-11-07, 09:11 PM
Nap to answer your question on diesel-electric locomovites

most DC loco are useally wired for 480-600 v dc with standard AC alternators [ most have either 8 or 10 pole alternaors ]

the typical horsepower useally run from 1500 hp and go high as 6000 hp which that have AC traction motor [ 3 phase motor ]

and there are few diesel-electric loco manufacters

most common one in usa/cananda

GE [ Genral Electric ]
EMD ElectricMoviteDivison aka super sized Detorit diesel engine if you get the idea

old one

ALCO
Faribanks-Morse

i think there are few others as well but i am not sure if they are in active duty or retired or junked

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 09:13 PM
Thumbs up

ok guys where is photoshot .com at how do i get this to you it will come from another computer with a different email add ress

Old 03-11-07, 09:29 PM
Thumbs up

french 277v when it comes to computers im dumb as a box of rocks how do i get these pictures to you all i use to work in a plant that made copper coils for thse loco in pa

Old 03-11-07, 09:33 PM
nap
I'm back buit only for a minute.

upload it to imageshack or photobucket and post the link to it.

Old 03-11-07, 10:25 PM
Thumbs up

ok i have had enough for tonight i have 2 pictures in my computer an i tried to get them to you but i cant get it to work as i said before when it comes to computers im dumb as a box of rocks i can send emails an thats about all sorry fibjr

Old 03-12-07, 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by fibjr View Post
we are missing something some where an im not sure what it is but the motor an switch i tok off this shaper did run when i got it an it had a little tiny toggle switch that had 6 connections the same as the big one we have now does this big switch is listed as a reversing motor switch . you men are the masters at an know 100% more than i do thats one thing i do know fibjr

Is the motor the same? This switch will work on a 3 lead 120 volt reversing motor.