2 or 3 wire service?

Old 03-10-07, 11:48 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 or 3 wire service?

I need a little advice regarding the 60 Amp electrical service that enteres my 70 yr old rental house. I can see 2 insulated wires and a cable looking, uninsulated strand connecting from the meter to the power pole.

Is the uninsulated strand is just there to maintain tension and support the two insulated wires? or is the uninsulated cable actually the ground or neutral.

Does this mean that I have 120v or 220v entering the house?

If I have 120v entering the house is it safe keep a 220v stove and dryer wired in the house.

Does the NEC require residential service to be 220v?

I do plan to hire an electrician to upgrade the service to 100 Amp, but I am just curious. Thanks
Old 03-11-07, 05:59 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,575
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Are the insulated wires twisted around the uninsulated wire? If so yes you have 240v coming in. You have given no info on breaker or fuse box so no way to know for sure if you currently have 240v available at the panel but you almost certainly do if all three wires enter the meter can.
Old 03-11-07, 06:03 AM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,454
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From the description, as Ray said, it does sound like you have a standard 120/240v service drop.

About the only 120v services I have seen were 30A-120v.
Old 03-13-07, 09:18 AM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,767
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bare wires serves as both the physical support for the cable assembly (it has a steel core), and is the electrical neutral, so you would likely have 120/240V service.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: