220V Dryer Receptacle

Old 03-11-07, 09:03 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
220V Dryer Receptacle

I have a 220V dryer receptacle that reads 120V and around 60V. As far as I know it should read 220V and 120V. I have reset the breaker a few times and the same outcome....any ideas??? I'm reading directly from the wires also

Old 03-11-07, 09:09 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A reading of 60 volts is almost certainly a false reading from an open circuit. I think one of your wires is disconnected.

I assume that the dryer doesn't work at all, or maybe the drum turns but you get no heat?? What are the symptoms?

Does your dryer plug have three prongs or four? Try voltage readings between all possible pairs of holes in the receptacle (or all possible wires in the box if you have already removed the receptacle).

Are you using a digital or analog meter?

Old 03-11-07, 09:20 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
i hate to step in this one as well as what John Nelson say per above but i will like to go one step further do you have electric stove in your house as well ??

if so dont turn on the stove until you verify the voltage reading with anglog meter [ digtial meter can read ' ghost voltage " ]

after you double check with this what you have to do next test what it will get little tricky here but before i can go anyfurther

is the dryer have 3 wire plug or 4 wire plug so we can figure it out in safe way

some case you turn the breaker off and then you have to check the connection on dryer repectale make sure there is no wires are loose or corroed up if good and tight and clean [ make sure the power off on this one before you open the cover ]

if good and clean post it back here we will tell ya what the next step to do this

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: