changing range receptacle location

Old 03-11-07, 09:30 PM
changing range receptacle location

I am going to be renovating our kitchen at the end of this month. I am going to be placing a cabinet where the range is currently. So, I need to relocate the receptacle about two feet to the right. Is this something that can easily be done, or do I need to hire out for this? I am fairly handy, as I am doing the remodel myself. On the same note, I have never played with range receptacle's before aside from plug and unplug. So, if someone knows the procedure that would be very helpful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 09:33 PM
to relocate the range repectale it really depending on if it have 3 or 4 wire cord attached to the range because the code do change some time back so just tell us what type of wire [ it will useally be 3 or 4 wire type ]

if 4 wire it not too bad it can relocated easly but if older 3 wires it can get tricky here if the wire run is very short you will just end up get new 4 wires for the range but the code do not allow us to extend the exsting 3 wire range circuit

Merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 09:42 PM
I think 3 wire

I think it is 3 wire, the plug is a 3 prong or do I need to remove the receptacle?

Old 03-11-07, 09:49 PM
if you are well famiur with the electrical system it should be not too hard but where is the breaker / fuse box located and how far it is away from the range repectale.

i am not sure if they will allow to shorten up the 3 wire range repecale circuit but i am sure they [ code ] wont allow it but i will leave this question to either John Nelson or Racraft one of the two they will be very well verisoned with the code related to the range repectales code wise i rather play it safe instead of screw something up

merci , Marc

Old 03-11-07, 09:53 PM
breaker location

The breaker is in the garage. I have a half basement with half garage. Bedrooms and basement over garage/basement, and livingroom and kitchen over concrete slab. Split level with two attics. The range is against a divider wall, so I think the only way to run new wire would be throught the attic.

Old 03-12-07, 07:22 AM
This probably falls into a gray area. You are only moving it two feet. If the existing wiring will reach the new location merely by rerouting the cable a bit, some inspectors may allow it. Others may not, and require you to replace the cable from the panel with a new 4-wire cable.

Even if the inspector does not require it, it is still a good idea to replace the cable anyway. Take advantage of this remodelling opportunity to improve safety.