Common Ground for two 200amp breaker panels?

Old 03-11-07, 09:59 PM
Question Common Ground for two 200amp breaker panels?

I currently have two separate 200 amp breaker panels feeding my home (400 amp total service). Each panel has a separate ground wire (~1/4" diameter) that runs to a water pipe ground, connected to the water pipe about 6 inches from the basement wall. Both grounds are attached to the same water piple.

The home builder just stapled the ground wires to the bottom of the floor joists in the basement, and I now want to rerun the grounds through the floor joists the same way the romex was run.

My question is, "Can both ground wires be run through a single hole in the floor joists (i.e. the gound wires will touch), or must they be kept separated until the point where they are attached to the water pipe ground?"

I realize tht this is probably a stupid question, but I would surely appreciate an answer.

Thanks ... Hooz

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 03:14 AM
you can put them in the same holes.

Old 03-12-07, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Shut off your main breakers before you disconnect the ground wires. Those wires may be carrying enough current to be dangerous.

Old 03-12-07, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
you can put them in the same holes.
Thanks. Looks like I'll be drilling fewer, albeit larger, holes.

Old 03-12-07, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Shut off your main breakers before you disconnect the ground wires. Those wires may be carrying enough current to be dangerous.
I had planned to do that "just in case" ... thanks for confirming that this is a necessary step.

Old 03-12-07, 06:22 PM
Isn't their purpose to create a path to ground in th event of electrified plumbing? That would mean the wires are harmless, but the pipes themselves are the culprits

Old 03-12-07, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No because they are grounding electrode conductors that also serve as the water pipe bond, not just water bonds.

There is always the potential for current on GEC's, albeit not much

Old 03-12-07, 07:16 PM
Nobody ever said it extended 10 feet into the ground, or that it was used as one of the required forms of grounding, rather than just bonding it. right?

Old 03-12-07, 07:25 PM
Let's not go crazy here with an unbounded discussion of bonding and grounding. The poster's question has been asked and answered.

Old 03-12-07, 07:43 PM
Just trying to prove a point the poor fellow need not be scared _____ to touch a ground wire here and there.

Old 03-13-07, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the connection is made within 6" of where a METALLIC water pipe enters a house, it is perfectly normal to assume this is a water pipe electrode. Or should we have to OP dig up his front yard to be sure.