wire nut / connector question

Old 03-12-07, 06:30 AM
wire nut / connector question

I have a lot of wire connections to make. I normally use wire nuts for making connections. After the first hundred connections I'm getting tendonitis in my elbow from squeezing and twisting the wire nuts on. Given that I have a thousand more to install I'd like a better way.

So my question is two part:
1) I know there are 2 tools made by Ideal for twisting on wire nuts, one is a short plastic sleeve with holes in the butt ends, and the other is a screwdriver with a hole in the end of the handle. Neither of these are available in HD or my local hardware stores. Any idea where I can get one or another alternative?

2) Is there a better type of connector to use. The guy at HD recommended a connector that has push-in holes like on the back of a receptacle. I've heard bad things about using those connectors on the back of receptacles so I'm wary about them. Any insights?

Thanks
NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 07:12 AM
Another option is to buy the wire nuts with wings on the sides. These should be easier to twist.

Although those push-in connector things arouse suspicion after all the bad things we know about backstabs, I believe that they actually make a reasonable connection. The biggest downside would probably be their cost.

Old 03-12-07, 07:32 AM
One of our electrical contractors use the push in connectors and I have found on more than one occasion where the wire did not stay in the connection and I had to redo it using a wire nut. I have concluded that those type of connectors are not allowed to be used in our buildings.

It may have been user error or an inferior product. I don't know. Either way it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

Old 03-12-07, 07:42 AM
mattison, are you talking about the push-in connectors on switches and receptacles, or the push-in connectors on wire nut replacements?

Old 03-12-07, 01:15 PM
I use a wire nut socket that attaches to a coreless drill. Presently, there is a listing on eBay (search for "wire nut tool") for a package of four different wire nut tools that includes...

"2 - Power Wire Connector tools (The Nut Twister) Fits in your power drill and will twist wire nuts onto your wire. 1 for small wire nuts and 1 for large wire nuts.

1 - Wire Connector Hand Tool (The Nut Twister) Hand held nut twister for small twist on wire nuts.

1 - Bur Master Deburring Tool Power Drive unit that fits in your drill and deburs 1/2, 3/4 and 1" emt. Can also insert a screwdriver into the end to tighten set screws.

The "wire connector hand tool" is a speed-wrench like device. Personally, I prefer the cordless drill socket think. These fit winged wire nuts. If you're using really small nuts, they may not work.

Old 03-12-07, 01:31 PM
There are a bunch of options for splicing.

Various places online sell bits that grip standard twist-on wire connectors, and let you use a tool to do the twisting. The following search will turn up a bunch.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-50,GGLD:en&q=wire+connector+socket

I've also seen a brand of twist on connector that has a phillips socket built in so that you can use a normal screwdriver to twist on the connector.

http://www.scru-it.com/

There are also 'crimp sleeve' splices, however I find that I don't like them for _solid_ wire. They are great for stranded wire.

-Jon

Old 03-12-07, 03:05 PM
Mattison :

if you are refering to the speed connection what that thing it called " Wago "

i am not too crazy with this one the only place it work good when i installed replacement ballast in floursecent lumiaires [ which i have to do hot sometime ]

other wise i used standard wirenuts to do the job decent

Merci , Marc

Old 03-12-07, 08:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try it for twenty years!

You may have too many splices, this may lead to many failures in the future.

Physical labor is good, It keeps one in shape. And reminds us when where not.

You made a hundred.. Good news, your over the hump, from here it gets easier.

Old 03-12-07, 08:44 PM
nap
Ideal "twister" wire nuts will accept a hex driver on the end. You can use either a nut driver or a hex driver in a battery op drill.

personally I use Ideal winged wire nuts. Put on 60 or so today, not really a big deal anymore. They are smooth so they do not tear at my skin like the twisters do.

Been on jobs where I did nothing but install receps and switches 8 hours/day for months. Talk about wire nuts. WOW!!

a wire nut tool is just another tool to hang on to and drag around. Don't need more tools to lose.

Old 03-12-07, 08:50 PM
iv'e used the push in type by Ideal

I like them

Old 03-13-07, 04:19 AM
John Nelson: I am refering to the connectors in the place of wire nuts. We don't allow the use of the stabs on receptacles or switches either.

French277V: We're also not allowed to do any "hot" work at all anymore. It's kind of hard to get the guys out of the habit of replacing a ballast while hot. But I guess it's better safe than sorry.

Old 03-13-07, 01:56 PM
Talking

I use ductape and hot glue for all my splices.

Just kidding.