Moving a dryer outlet

Old 03-12-07, 02:35 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a dryer outlet

I have 0 experience in electrical work, but I'd like to move the dryer plug in my home from one wall to the wall immediately adject to it. About a 6 foot move.

I think I should hire an electrician, as I'm afraid of burning down the house, and was wondering if anyone had any estimates on how much they would charge to do this?

Is this something I could theoretically try myself?

Thanks

Old 03-12-07, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Even though this is a DIY forum, and we encourage people to do things for themselves, electrical work can cause bad hair days. We don't want to place you in harms way. Since it is more than a regular receptacle, and involves 240 volts, and may have to be rewired from the breaker panel if it is only a 3 wire receptacle, you have code issues to deal with. Without experience, I would contact an electrician and let them do this job, reserving the next one for DIY. Thanks for contacting us, and let us help with your projects at any time.

Old 03-12-07, 03:15 PM
F
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
i will agree with Chandler with this issuse right here

let you know that i am master electrician but right now my main consering is the safety issuse and if you are not conftable with the electical system it will be more safer to let the electrician to do this type of wiring because there is a code or two related to the dryer circuit.

if you get the electrician to come out expect to charge from 100- 250 buck range but it will depending on the area and company will charge for this.

therefore i will suggest get at least 3 diffrent electrician contractor company to give you the bid to see what they will charge to reloacted the dryer repectale [ i am sure they will upgrade to 4 wire repecale due the code ]

but you are more than welcome to ask us any other question we will guide you the correct way

please just use the common sense and safety for everyone here

Merci . Marc

Old 03-12-07, 07:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a DIY forum may not be the best place for that kind of question. Several factors come into play when there is a task of this nature. Bringing everything up to code and getting your feet wet by diving right into the panel may not be the best idea. You see, it's not as simple as moving furniture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: