Breaker blowing issue

Old 03-12-07, 05:44 PM
Breaker blowing issue

I have a hall light with 4 locations to turn it on/off. The breaker also sends power to a few other areas. When I TURN OFF the hall light from any location the breaker pops. I can turn on/off the other lights on the same breaker with no issue.

I have changed the breaker.

Why would this specific light pop the breaker when it is turned off?

THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-07, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Have you changed out any of the switches or the light fixtures lately?

Old 03-12-07, 06:08 PM
Apparently when you set the switches a certain way, you are connecting hot and a ground wire or a return wire.

I will ask the same question. Did you change anything before this started happening, or did this just start happening?

Does this happen from any switch position, or only when a certain one of the switches turns the light off?

Old 03-12-07, 06:24 PM
When a breaker trips it is saving you from something, wetaher it be a fire or a shock, it is preventing that. That means stop resetting the breaker and go over whatever work you have recently done .

Old 03-12-07, 07:20 PM
Let me take a wild guess. You replaced the hall light fixture, and you followed the manufacturer's instructions to connect all wires of the same color together. Am I close?

Old 03-12-07, 07:51 PM
Sounds to be spot on John. There is a variable of change here. Whatever you changed is the variable. Rarley does a problem like this occur without help, but it is not impossible.

Old 03-12-07, 09:08 PM
Breaker issue

THanks guys....I have changed NOTHING! It would be a no brainer if I did something. But no changes. This just started out of the blue!

I have popped the breaker from each switch thinking I had a bad switch. There are two fixtures in the hall and both come and act the same.

Why would it happen when I turn OFF the light? It will stay on with no issues. Really strange.

Old 03-13-07, 04:31 AM
I ask again, does this occur when you put a particular one of the switches in a certain position, or when you put any switch into a particular position?

Once again, one of the sometimes hot wires is contacting a neutral or a ground wire. Open every switch box and look for a loose ground, or a switch too close to the metal box, or something similar. Correct the problem and all will be well.

Old 03-13-07, 06:31 AM
Hang any pictures recently?

Old 03-13-07, 06:36 AM
...or bookshelves, or any other reason to put a nail or screw in the wall?

Old 03-13-07, 12:04 PM
No hangings either. I will open each box tonight and will hope for a loose wire. If a wire is loose I am sure it will have burn spots around it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-13-07, 12:18 PM
Shut off the breaker, then use a meter to make sure it's dead then tighten each and every screw. Keep your eyes peeled for a a free floating wire, as proplery done there should be absolutley no bare wires. Except your grounds.