Bath Rewiring Triggering Upgrade to Code?

Old 03-12-07, 10:17 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bath Rewiring Triggering Upgrade to Code?

I'm remodeling a bathroom in a house built in 1955, but which looks like it was remodeled in the late 60s/early 70s. The overhead light is on a 20A circuit. (I don't know if this is the only thing on this circuit.) The receptacle is fed from the outlets above the kitchen counter.

I will need to move the receptacle for the remodel. My plan is to remove the receptacle from the kitchen circuit and to power it from the overhead light by running some wire down the wall from the attic. Would that trigger a requirement to upgrade to current code requirements by making this a dedicated bathroom circuit and relocating any other connections to other circuits?

Old 03-13-07, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Absolutely. If you were merely doing a cosmetic renovation, such as paint and maybe fixtures IMO it would not qualify, but an open wall renovation most certainly would require the whole room be brought up to code.

Old 03-13-07, 04:38 AM
R
Yes, this type of work requires that you bring the bathroom up to code.

BEFORE you do anything else, figure out what is on the circuit supplying the bathroom light, and on EVERY circuit in your house. You should have done this when you moved in. Everybody should do this within a very short period of time of moving into a house, apartment or condo.

EVERYBODY should know what is on every circuit in their house and what breaker controls each and every receptacle, light and appliance in their house. This information can save you hours or days of time when you have a problem, but more importantly it could save your life.

Old 03-13-07, 06:38 AM
T
Originally Posted by racraft
Yes, this type of work requires that you bring the bathroom up to code.

BEFORE you do anything else, figure out what is on the circuit supplying the bathroom light, and on EVERY circuit in your house. You should have done this when you moved in. Everybody should do this within a very short period of time of moving into a house, apartment or condo.

EVERYBODY should know what is on every circuit in their house and what breaker controls each and every receptacle, light and appliance in their house. This information can save you hours or days of time when you have a problem, but more importantly it could save your life.
as usual-excellent advice.

Old 03-13-07, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I am now doing just what you are discussing. Wife wanted new lights above the mirror instead of fluorescent lights in the ceiling. I had two bath rooms on a 15 amp circuit and much more including kitchen lighting, dining lighting, a garage outlet, outside outlet and a bedroom outlet. All done when the home was built in 1980. The bedroom outlet which is the first outlet from the box had overheated in the past. I am putting each bathroom on it's own 20 amp circuit. I think my home will be much safer when I am done.

Old 03-21-07, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Rough Inspection

Rough inspection not approved. I have run a 20 amp circuit to each bathroom (1 each). I ran my plans to do this with the inspector and I believe he told me you could wire everything in each bathroom on the one 20 amp circuit. That would include the light, fan and the GFI. Another inspector turned it down and said the only thing that can be on the bath room GFI is the outlets. I might of confused him because I ran the power to the GFI (lineside) and jumpered the power from the GFI (line side) to the light and fan. I think in another post it was agreed that this was per code. Am I on the correct path and can someone provide me with the NEC code that states it. He quoted NEC 210.8 (A)

Old 03-21-07, 03:50 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The second inspector is wrong. As long as the circuit is only in the one bathroom it can have the lights and receptacles on it unless you have some local code amendments forbidding it. All that code states is where GFCI receptacles are required. 210.11.c is the code for bathrooms. Is has an exceptions stating that light and fans if within the bthroom are permitted to be on the bathroom 20 amp circuit. (nec 2005)

Old 03-21-07, 07:10 PM
JoeD is right on.
The only way your inspector is correct is if there is a local amendment requiring what he wants.
If he is adamant about it ask for (demand) a code reference. If he cannot provide one go over his head.

Old 03-22-07, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Talked to the inspector this morn. He would not answer my questions or even listen to me. He asked me what I did not understand about his not allowing the GFI outlets on the same circuit. When I told him the bathroom exception on 210.11.(C) (3) allowed it he transferred me to the original inspector. He was rude and I saw him in action with another customer when I applied for my permit. He was rude at that time. The original inspector listened to me and said if I did what I said it was allowed and said to request another inspection. Hopefully I will have the inspection in the morning and I can cover all the work. I am sure this is the reason many home owners just do the work without the permit. I have done wiring in the past and asked many questions from all of you, read the books and focused on doing everything per code. I felt the inspector that disapproved it feels that I am just another DIY dummy. I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 03-23-07, 07:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Original inspector came out and looked at the wiring, asked some questions and approved the rough inspection. Told me I did a great job and also signed off on the final inspection. He was such a great guy and you could tell he loved his job. When we were looking at the panel he noticed his father-in-law signed off on the original inspection. Thanks to all of you for answering all my questions. I powered up the main bathroom this afternoon. Next is doing the sheetrock patching of which I have done a lot of. Thanks, thanks and thanks.

Old 03-23-07, 09:04 PM
L
Cool New inspector?

Some don't understand the code. Or misunderstand.

##When we were looking at the panel he noticed his father-in-law signed off on the original inspection. ## NO COMMENT!!!

I personaly misunderstood the 6-12' rule when I started. My first house, had so many dmn receptacles it wasn't funny. The 'rocker was very upset. Every six (6) feet I had a rec. I only needed one every twelve feet.

So bennefit of the doubt to the inspector. Or perhaps "power trip".

If ever in doubt, Just ask for the written code article that is in violation.
Don't argue.. But no article.. no violation.

Old 03-24-07, 08:02 AM
J
The inspector did cite 210.8(A). IF, the light or fan fixture has an integral receptacle as part of the unit then there would have been a violation, as these outlets were not GFCI protected.

Old 03-24-07, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No outlet on the light and the fan does have a plug connector to unplug the motor wire. I think that would be stretching the code and I know the fans are good at tripping GFI's. Think he was in a hurry and he couldn't figure out what I was doing and didn't want to listen. He told my wife we had to many wires and calculated the wattage on the wall showing that two hair dryers would overload it. All he had to do is look at the circuits, the permit and find the exception in NEC 210.11.(C) (3).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: