Kitchen outlet problem

Old 03-13-07, 03:32 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen outlet problem

I plugged in a intercom into a GFI outlet in the kitchen and after about 5 minutes it tripped the GFI. I tried this several times and it kept tripping the GFI. I then plugged in into an non GFI outlet and tripped again, however when I reset the GFI this time only half of my outlets work. I tried all the circuit breakers in the panel box and they are ok. and I reset the GFI and still no power to 3 outlets. Clockwise: I have a regular outlet not working, GFI working, regular outlet not working (one I plugged intercom into), next regular outlet is working. followed by one not working and finally a gfi outlet that is working..

Any thoughts on trouble shooting??

Thanks in advance..

Old 03-13-07, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Look for more GFCI's. Kitchens should have at least 2.

Old 03-13-07, 04:59 PM
R
If you don't have another GFCI, then look for an open circuit. It would help if you knew if you had any power to any pf these receptacles. Use a plug in type tester or a two wire tester and test between the hot and ground, the hot and the neutral, and the neutral and ground.

Old 03-13-07, 07:09 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Blown GFI

Start with the first GFI rec you used.

With everything disconnected. Shut off the breaker. Remove GFI rec, Splice the ckt thru, Cap off wires. Turn the ckt on and see what you have.

If all work, shut off ckt. IDENTIFY feed wires, then reinstall new GFI rec--Line -load- as described.

Last edited by lectriclee; 03-13-07 at 07:11 PM. Reason: TYPO (what else!?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: