Home electrical problem

Old 03-15-07, 03:13 AM
Home electrical problem

I started to lose power on several circuts in my home. After checking the breaker panel there were no tripped breakers. I checked and tighted every breaker, ground, and neutral connection. Since the home is 20 yrs. old I also replaced 5 breakers with no improvement. I have found that when power goes out for no aparent reason I lose power on everyother breaker on the 220 side and everyother 2 breakers on the 110 side. Figuring that there must be a problem with one of the two power leads I put a digital meter in the conuity function. Placed pos. lead on one of the lines before the main on/off in my panel, and the neg. on the ground bar in the panel. One line gave me a constant beep, the other gave a rapidly broken beep. Not being a electrician I am assuming that the problem is somewhere in the main line that I got the rapid beeping before the main switch in my panel box. My set up goes power lines to meter, to a main on/off after meter, approx 40 ft. to main on/off in panel box, to the breakers. Any suggestions and or answers to my problem will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 03:52 AM
You are wasting time and money replacing things when you are not sure of the problem. And attempting to measure resistence on a live circuit will kill your meter.

If all the dropped circuits/problems seem to be on one side of the breaker panel, call the power company, quickly. If it seems random, call an electrician, also quickly.

I hate to be blunt, but you have a problem that could be dnagerous, and it seems you have no idea where to look. Let someone that knows do the looking.

Old 03-15-07, 04:02 AM
You do not have a positive and negative lead on your meter. You may have a red one and a black one, but that does not mean positive and negative.

Call the power company now. Do not wait until normal business hours, call them now. You are risking damaging the 240 volt appliances in your house. The power company will check the outside wiring and if they don;t find a provlem they may even check your side of the wiring.

Do not wait, call them now.

Old 03-15-07, 06:51 AM
Bill said, "attempting to measure resistence on a live circuit will kill your meter."

I'll add that it can also kill you. Be careful.

Old 03-16-07, 05:02 AM
Thanks guys!!

I called the power company at 8am and they came out and found the problem at the meter box. unfortunately they say its on my side. After inspecting my breaker box we went to the meter box and he started to flip the switch off and sparks went flyin. Luckly I still have limited power. He didnt seem to concerned that my place would burn down. He said his pole would go up first. He said to use as little power as possible, get the permit and a new box and they would come out Monday and shut the power off so I can change out the box. However I got the permit already off line, wow that was nice. Found a box at lowes which I will be picking up shortly and I may just do it today. Not sure yet as I already had a lot lined up to do today. I will definately do it monday though. Thanks for scaring me into calling the power company. They arent chargeing me a dime.

Old 03-16-07, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure that you should even think of doing this yourself. Yes, the power company will shut the power off, but there's a lot more to it than that.

If I were you, I would hire an electrician to do the actual work. I would consider it money well spent.

Old 03-16-07, 06:57 AM
We can't really judge your electrical skills from here, but I ask you to do a realistic assessment yourself as to whether you can do this. Keep in mind that an electrician would probably charge up to $1000 to do this, so ask yourself if you have $1000 (less parts) worth of skills. If he charges you $1000, he's either putting a lot of time and skill into it, or he's gouging you. You'll have to decide yourself.

Whichever way you go, good luck. Whoever does the job, be there with the inspector comes and make sure he gives this a very thorough inspection.

Old 03-18-07, 03:06 PM
Angry electrical problem

Many well educated and experienced electricians get electrocuted or suffer the effects of arc fault explosions. That is why most local authorites require some type of license to repair or replace electrical equipment. Hire someone that knows what they are doing, and this doesn't mean a handyman. Make sure they are licensed. Lives may depend on it!

Last edited by John Nelson; 03-18-07 at 06:34 PM. Reason: insults not tolerated