Power Strip w/ Dimmer?

Old 03-15-07, 06:55 AM
Power Strip w/ Dimmer?

Anyone know if they make power strips with built-in dimmers? I would assume that power surge strips wouldn't, but what about a plain old power strip?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 06:58 AM
A power strip with a built-in dimmer would not be a good idea for most applications, and would probably not be a good seller. The only thing really safe to dim is an incandescent light, and it's not often that you plug a bunch of incandescent lamps into one power strip. They do make such dimmers for a single outlet into which to plug a single lamp.

Tell us more about what you want one for, and maybe we can find an alternative solution. If necessary, you could always put a dimmer upstream from the power strip to achieve the same thing.

Old 03-15-07, 08:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The Code prohibits dimmers from controlling standard receptacles.

Old 03-16-07, 11:20 AM
I'm using several large electroluminescent light panels to backlight an piece of art and each panel will be plugged into a power strip. The piece will need to be transported from my home to a public display and then to Sotheby's, so I'm looking for a dimmer that will be transportable with the whole unit. Any ideas?