Adding light on outside brick wall

Old 03-15-07, 07:25 AM
Adding light on outside brick wall

I'm considering adding a light outside my back door and wanted to seek some guidance as to the proper way to go about it...

The exterior of my house is brick, which carries its own complications...

I already have 2 switches right inside the back door, so I was planning on adding a third switch to control the fixture outside. The line from the switch can essentially go straight up the wall, make a 90 degree turn to the outside and come out of the wall where the light will end up.

So, that's the simple part... my house was built around 1930 so what I tend to find whenever I patch in from outside is that it has brick, then a 3/4 tongue and grove board siding on the studs.

My question is, what's the best way to properly secure the box and ultimately the cable feeding the switch?

My assumption was that I would literally cut out a section of the bricks and wood and secure a box... does that seem right? What type of box would be best to use and how would I secure it? Would I secure it by screwing into the sides of the brick and securing it with anchors..

Assuming it's a metal box, I would use NM cable and use the normal NM clamp on the back of the metal box....

Is there a better way to do this?

Please let me know... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your idea sounds good. Go to an electrical supply house and ask for a masonry box. They are made to fit in the brick courses. It can be secured with some mortar.