Quickie for electricians

Old 03-16-07, 11:05 AM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Quickie for electricians

Which do you prefer - ground wire crimps or the green wire nut with a hole in the top?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-07, 11:48 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Ground

Crimp, then twist two full turns. I turn the short ends back on the sleeve before I twist so they cannot come loose. Twisting after crimping is a requirement of our local inspector.

Old 03-16-07, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Greenies, easy to install and no special tool needed. Also easier to remove if additional wires need to be added later.

Old 03-16-07, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Crimps with one of the bare wires left long to reach the receptacle. The crimp takes up less space in the box and is easier to fold back in my opinion.

Old 03-16-07, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For a DIYer, the greenie is must better since it is easier to do, harder to screw up, and doesn't require a special tool (don't crimp with your regular pliers or the inspector will flunk you).

Old 03-16-07, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crimps for me. Greenies for most DIYers.

Two comments.
Puller, does your local inspector have documentation to support his silly request to twist "after" crimping?

No special tools are required for the crimps I use. I use Ideal and they list their lineman's pliers with the crimper to use for crimping. Klien's linemans pliers have exactly the same crimp. I use both brands.
I like crimps because they take up less room in the box and you can leave out as many tails as there are gangs in the box.

Old 03-16-07, 04:37 PM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
"(don't crimp with your regular pliers or the inspector will flunk you)."

OOPS!
I'm not an electrician, just finishing a basement. I just had a rough in inspection and the only comment the inspector made was that he wanted the grounds "made up" before he would sign off. By made up he meant all the grounds in the box tied together as they would be when the recepts are installed.
I grabbed a box of green wire nuts and he told me he preferred the ground wire crimps. I bought a box and installed them using regular linesman's pliers. He didn't offer any install instructions and neither did the box of crimps. I just twisted the grounds, clipped off all but one ground wire and installed the crimp with the tag end extended. I didn't twist after crimping. Are either of those a code requirement?
I agree that the crimps were a lot easier to install and take less room, but I wonder what the guy had against green wire nuts.

Old 03-16-07, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
> I wonder what the guy had against green wire nuts.

Unless there's a local code on the books, he's being unjustifiably picky. Code recognizes both methods, so it shouldn't matter to him which you use. By NEC, the wirenuts don't even have to be green -- you can use any wirenut.