Doorbell/Chime Transformer

Old 03-16-07, 04:17 PM
Doorbell/Chime Transformer

I can't hear my doorbell in the back of my house - and nether can my 2 dogs! So for the last few days I've been reading & taking notes on all the pertinent posted information about doorbells. Whoosh, there's a lot!

Cut-to-the-chase: If I determine that this chime is working properly, I'd rather add a second chime in the back hallway. I don't want to use a wireless extension.

A year ago, when I moved into my house, I replaced my chime with a Carlson DH110. This is a single door, 2-note ECONOMY door chime. (I don' have a mansion, so the Big Ben sounding chimes would be ridiculous. I basically wanted one the size of the old one, so I didn't have to paint.) This model uses a 16 Volt, 10VA transformer.

When checking the size of my transformer (located in my coat closet, and easy to see) I found what MAY be a problem. When the sellers of my house last painted (A quickie interior spray job to make the place presentable for selling.) they painted over the transformer! Paint thoroughly covers the transformer, wires connected to the terminals, the front face of the electrical box and all. When I touched the transformer, it was slightly warm, and the pint seems to be firmly adhered. (Probably slow baked on.)

My chime DOES work, so obviously the transformer works. However, I can't read the size. If it's a smaller size will my chime work? Could this be my problem? Or A problem? Should I clean it? Replace it? (What are your thoughts?)

Well that's it for starters. Once I get some feedback, I may have more questions. However, until then......As usual thanks for sharing all your great knowledge! Anna

PS/FYI:
---I've read all doorbell related articles on howstuffworks.com
---I have John Nelson's diagram (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2125/doorbellwiringvf3.jpg) showing Series & Parallel wiring, & know I MUST use Parallel wiring if I add a second chime.
---I have a 2000 sq. foot ranch style house, with access to my attic and wiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-07, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The chime is activated by a plunger that requires a thrust of current supplied by the transformer. The chime must be rated around what the transformer is rated for a nice maximum loud chime.

Chimes are set up already with 3 hookups inside that allows 2-chimes for the front door and 1 chime sound for back door.

I have fixed quite a few malfunctioning doorbell systems. My hardest part has often been in locating the transformer. They can put them anywhere. They might be by the panel box...or of some ceiling junction box/light fixture somewhere.

Old 03-16-07, 05:21 PM
It's located...

Hi, It's located in a closet, & easy read. (If pant didn't cover the entire thing.) Anna

Old 03-16-07, 06:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let us know if you get her up and running.

Old 03-16-07, 10:15 PM
You've already got the basics. Just be sure that you wire your second chime in parallel with the first. Then give it a try. If the chimes sound weakly, replace the transformer with a 20VA or 30VA model.