220volt stove outlet relocation

Old 03-17-07, 11:36 AM
220volt stove outlet relocation

Not sure which direction to go in. Moving stove 3ft over wanted to simply relocate the 220 outlet which runs above and across kitchen drop ceiling. Original plan was to simply pull original line up and over to new location which I've already fished and prepared. Cannot get original line up through wall appears to be anchored in wall. My question is would it be possible to place a junction box on the ceiling joist and extend the line at the ceiling to the new location. Not sure if it's ok or possible to do this. The other option of course being to run a completely new line from service box up from basement. Which brings me to my other question. I'm familiar w/ house wiring to a point but not comfortable fooling with the main box. Would it be cheaper to run the line in place and then have a contractor tie in at box or should I let them do the entire project. Personally my preference would be to bypass the contractor make a trip to home depot extend the line in the ceiling and drop it in the already fished location. I'm working with 10/3 w/ground 600 volt cirtex-A(ul) 4 wire. The breaker for that run is 40amp it only feeds the stove(straight run) dryer and other 220 in basement seperate.
Please Help
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-07, 11:51 AM
Lets back up. Number 10 is too small a wire for a 40 amp breaker.

What is the wattage of the stove?

You should have number 8 minimum for a 40 amp stove. Number 6 for a 50 amp.

Old 03-17-07, 12:05 PM
Yeah, you better check and make sure you got #8 min, thats a pretty standard size to pull to a range unless your going big. If you don't I would suggest running a new line from your panel. You can save a few dollars if you run the line yourself and get someone to hook it up in your panel and inspect your other work just to be safe. Make sure your familiar with your area's code requirements.

Old 03-17-07, 12:13 PM
You can save a few dollars if you run the line yourself and get someone to hook it up in your panel and inspect your other work just to be safe. Make sure your familiar with your area's code requirements.
As a professional electrician I would never take the responsibility for work that was not done by someone who worked directly for me, under my supervision. By makeing the final connections at the panel, the electrician is taking full responsibility.

You should either have the work done by a licenced electrician, or do it yourself.

Old 03-17-07, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
As a professional electrician I would never take the responsibility for work that was not done by someone who worked directly for me, under my supervision. By makeing the final connections at the panel, the electrician is taking full responsibility.

You should either have the work done by a licenced electrician, or do it yourself.
The Model is JBP24BHWH GE according to the owners manual http://www.abtelectronics.com/images/products/BDP%20Images/00322027.pdf a 40 watt breaker is what is required. The wattage 2600/ 8" and 1500/6" burners. It probably is something for a professional seeing as it is that I have made some corrections made by the previous home owner. I have an electrical background but not comepletely experienced with full house wiring/breakers. If I were to run a new line myself what kind do you recommend.
Thanks
Eric

Old 03-17-07, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Circuit mus be 4 wire. While #8 is OK better IMHO to run #6 in case you ever buy a higher amp unit.

Old 03-17-07, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by blkrncld View Post
a 40 watt breaker is what is required.
Eric, I do not mean this in an offensive way, but before you try something like this yourself, or try to ask questions in a forum and expect to understand the answers you should do a bit of homework.

It is not possible to have complete understanding when we do not use the correct terms. You need a 40 amp circuit, not a 40 watt circuit.

I suggest you get a good book on residential wireing. You really should understand the difference between a watt and an amp (and several other things) before you try this type of work on your own.

but to answer your question you need number 8-3 with ground.

Old 03-17-07, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=jwhite;1143870]Eric, I do not mean this in an offensive way, but before you try something like this yourself, or try to ask questions in a forum and expect to understand the answers you should do a bit of homework.

It is not possible to have complete understanding when we do not use the correct terms. You need a 40 amp circuit, not a 40 watt circuit.

I suggest you get a good book on residential wireing. You really should understand the difference between a watt and an amp (and several other things) before you try this type of work on your own.

but to answer your question you need number 8-3 with ground.[/QUOTE
G I'm sorry I meant a 40 amp breaker- i do understand the difference between a watt and an amp and I'm very familiar with E=I x R etc. I simply answered the phone while writing the email. Thank You for your advice. By the way wireing is spelled wiring.
Thanks

Old 03-17-07, 02:43 PM
thanks

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Circuit mus be 4 wire. While #8 is OK better IMHO to run #6 in case you ever buy a higher amp unit.
Sounds like the best option,I'll find a home wiring guide and get it done.