breaker box is full what can i do????

Old 03-18-07, 04:26 PM
breaker box is full what can i do????

hello, i was searching the net and found this site, and hopefully someone can help. i have a ge breaker box and it is full. it is full with the little breakers so i can not condense them down. i added on a room and i want to but an ac heating unit that takes a 220v and 20amp plug but i do not have any space. do i have to install a new 200 amp box with more circuits available? i currently have a 200 amp box. im thinking of getting rid of my electric range and going with a natural gas range and that would free up that 220 breaker. does anyone have any ideas. my box will not take the tandem breakers!

thanks,

kawboy.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Install a subpanel. Remove two CB's from existing panel, relocate those two in new subpanel, and install a two pole CB for the sub in the main.

Old 03-18-07, 04:51 PM
changing the range out is an easy option. The other two options are more challenging and will cost more:

1. Add a subpanel and move some of the circuits there.
2. Upgrade to a new main panel with more spaces.

Old 03-18-07, 05:30 PM
Assuming that you already have 40 circuits, a larger box is not an option.

Changing to a gas range may not solve the problem either, as you will need a 120 volt circuit for the range and may not have one. besides, a new range is more expensive than a sub panel anyway.

Add a small sub panel next to the main panel. I recommend a 100 amp 20 space panel, however, you can feed it with a smaller breaker if you want. I would move enough existing circuits to the sub panel so that you can put the new 240 volt circuit in the main panel.

Old 03-19-07, 07:05 AM
okay, it sounds like i have 3 options, but only 2 will not be so expensive. the subpanel which 2 breakers should i move to get that 100 amp sup box? also the breakers that i take out the wires that are left in the main breaker box how do i get those to the subpanel???? if i do the range i have a 120v to use that is on the counter, and the range has a 220-240v and it has a 50 amp breaker. the ac heating unit is 220-240 and is only 20 amp. i would like to do the sub panel if possible because im planning on building a garage/workshop in the future, but i was thinking of just having the power company run a separate line. thanks for the response, u all have given me some things to check out and think about.

kawboy.

Old 03-19-07, 07:13 AM
also i only have 25 circuits i think, but 5 are the 220's which take up 2 big slots or 4 little ones each. then the rest which would be 20 are all the little small slots. so if i was to go to the larger box would that have enough spaces or am i still out of luck on changing the box?

kawboy

Old 03-19-07, 07:20 AM
Please use proper capitalization in your posts. It makes them much easier to read.

Move any FOUR breakers you want to the sub panel. You need to move four. You need four spots in your main panel. Two for the breaker to feed the sub panel and two for the breaker for the addition. You will physically move the wires for the breakers that you move to the new panel.

You have 30 slots used, as the 240 volt breakers get counted twice.

It sounds like you can have a new box installed. You can have a box installed that will allow for 40 circuit breakers.

However, from the sounds of your posts, neither of these jobs (a sub panel or a new main panel) are something you should undertake. Very few do-it-your-selfers should replace a main panel, as there is much involved and considerable risk. And, while a sub-panel installation is easier than a main panel installation, it sounds like you (at least for now) lack the knowledge to do this safely and acording to code. Do consider an electrician.

Last edited by John Nelson; 03-19-07 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-19-07, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by kawboy View Post
hello, i was searching the net and found this site, and hopefully someone can help. i have a ge breaker box and it is full. it is full with the little breakers so i can not condense them down. i added on a room and i want to but an ac heating unit that takes a 220v and 20amp plug but i do not have any space. do i have to install a new 200 amp box with more circuits available? i currently have a 200 amp box. im thinking of getting rid of my electric range and going with a natural gas range and that would free up that 220 breaker. does anyone have any ideas. my box will not take the tandem breakers!

thanks,

kawboy.
Depending on your area, there are split breakers that will allow you to put 2 circuits in one slot to allow for a 2 pple breaker. These brakers allow for 2 circuits in one circhut breaker slot. Ideally, you want the 2 to be from different areas of the house that would not be normally used at the same time. Like a second bedroom combined with a third bedroom.

Just a thought.

Old 03-19-07, 11:26 AM
According to the OP all the OCPDs are already slimline type - meaning they are already doubled up.