Power Outage and now dead outlets, PLEASE HELP!!

Old 03-19-07, 10:50 PM
Power Outage and now dead outlets, PLEASE HELP!!

Our neighborhood had a power outage and I have a room that had a lot of electrical draw on it already. So when the power came back on everything worked but the two outlets in that room, There is no GFCI in the room and no where in the house. The breaker is not tripped, the box next to the breaker is fine, all the wires have the right current in them, and the actual circuit is fine to. I've checked the outlets, there is no burning or damage. No power is coming to the taps on the outlet but there is continuity between the taps so I would assume that the wire got fried smoewhere in the wall. Can anybody help or provide more insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-07, 11:16 PM
Wink

You sure its not the outlets???? Sometimes if they have the wires just stabbed in and not on the screws they go bad . Have a lot that did that

Old 03-20-07, 04:32 AM
The problem is almost certainly that a weak connection has failed.

How did you check for power? I suspect you did not check properly. Testing for continuity was the wrong thing to do (it's dangerous) and tells you nothing.

If a connection has failed, you need to find it. It could be at any location on the circuit. It could be at a non-working location or a working location, so every location on the circuit will have to be checked. It will help if you know whether it is a neutral or a hot wire that has opened.

Old 03-20-07, 06:48 AM
I suggest you buy an outlet tester, a device with three prongs that plug into a receptacle and three lamps to indicate status. Sold for under ten bucks at all home centers and hardware stores.

Old 03-20-07, 07:02 AM
I checked with a voltage meter at the outlets and no power. As far a checking the entire circuit how would I do that. Would that intail going through the entire wall to follow that particular wire? If that is the case wouldn't it be easier to run a new wire to the outlets. The house is 80 yrs old. Finnaly if it becomes to hard for me to trace the entire wire what does a job like that ballpark for an electrician? Its on the second floor and the breaker is in the basement.

Old 03-20-07, 07:06 AM
You do not need to follow the wires in the wall. You need to check the other receptacles (or lights) on the same circuit.

How did you check for voltage.? 80 year old wiring is not typically grounded, although it could be. Did you measure between the two wires? Did you measure between each wire and the metal box? Did you measure between each wire and the neutral wire of a known working circuit? Did you measure between each wire and a good ground (such as a cold water pipe, etc.?)

Old 03-20-07, 08:58 AM
I checked with a voltage meter and it gave me 124. All other recepticles on the same circuit are working. All circuits test correctly. It may be old wiring but the breaker box seems fairly new. I tested all circuits with their grounds in the box. I cant figure it out. Its just the two plugs in a small room and they never gave trouble before other than a few breaker trips due to to much current but since ive un pluged alot and it was fine untill the outage. I also measured on the taps in the recepticles and nothing. Can a wire melt somewhere in the wall, because that is the only thing I can think of. Ive even replaced the breaker circuit to be safe and nothing.

Old 03-20-07, 09:00 AM
How did you test for voltage? You cannot get 124 and then get nothing at the back of the receptacle. Where did you connect your probes and measure 124? Where di you connect your probes and measure nothing? BE SPECIFIC.

Did you check each and every receptacle on the circuit for proper wiring and that wiring being intact?

Old 03-20-07, 02:54 PM
When I tested and got 124 that was at the breaker and at the wires leading from it to the little box where the wires are joined. From there the wires go to the wall. I tested the back of the recepticles and got nothing. That is why I feel the problem is in the wall.

Old 03-20-07, 02:55 PM
Also the room and recepticles that is the problem as far as I can tell no other room or recepticle is on that circuit.

Old 03-20-07, 03:08 PM
"as far as I can tell" is the wrong answer. You need to know, because it could save your life someday, and right now because you need to check every receptacle on the circuit, what is on the circuit. Everyone needs to know this about every circuit they have.

I will ask again. I really do want an answer. How did you test for voltage. Between what two wires did you test? Did you test between ALL the wires? Did you test between the hot wire and a good ground?

You really are making this harder than it needs to be. Check every receptacle, switch, or other junction on the circuit. While it is possible you have a broken wire between two locations, it is not likely. You need to find the location where the bad connection exists and repair it. You need to check the working and non-working locations on the circuit. Why haven't you done this yet?

Old 03-20-07, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Carlhauenst View Post
When I tested and got 124 that was at the breaker and at the wires leading from it to the little box where the wires are joined. From there the wires go to the wall. I tested the back of the recepticles and got nothing. That is why I feel the problem is in the wall.
In this "little box" (Junction box) How many cables leave it?
Can you know for sure what cable comes from the panel?

If so. shut off the ckt. Break the splices apart. Cap off the wires from the panel. NOW go see what does not work.

When the list is made. then ,shut off breaker again. Reconnect 1 cable, turn on, see what now works.

Then continue this untill you find the cable that makes no change. Leave this cable disconnected and trace it out as best you can. This will be your problem cable.

Now attack those devices. and you'll find the problem.