Wiring New Countertop Stove

Old 03-20-07, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring New Countertop Stove

I'm replacing an old Jenn-Air countertop electric stove with a new one. Unfortunately I did not remove the old one (so I couldn't compare wiring installation) and the new one has:

Black----Red------White------Green wires

However my pre 1996 house wiring has just 3 wires

Black----Red------Green

The stove for some reason had no electrical connection paperwork.

Where do I attach the white wire?

Thanx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-07, 08:07 PM
All stoves come with two sets of wiring instructions, one for a 3-wire connection and one for a 4-wire connection. Find these two sets of instructions in your manual, and exactly follow the one for the 3-wire connection. You may need to buy another (3-wire) cord for your stove.

Old 03-27-07, 12:49 PM
Question

Did a little more investigating. Although the conduit running from the box had just three wires, when I removed the box cover I found a white wire which was just capped off.

Did older countertop units just use 3 wires so whoever originally hooked it up just capped the white?

I assume that I should just get a 4 wire appliance conduit to replace the 3 wire and then just hook up black to black, white to white, red to red, and green to bare wire?

I have no instruction manual to refer to.

Thanks again.

Old 03-27-07, 01:00 PM
You need to obtain a wiring diagram. Contact the manufacturer, look on the Internet, contact the store you bought it from, etc. They do excist, and it is not hard to get one.

You need to make sure that the capped white wire is connected on the other end. That will mean investigating the wiring at the panel.

Years ago stoves were wired with only three wires. This was done for several reasons which are not important now. All new installations of 120/240 volt appliances need to be four wire. You are allowed to use existing wiring, as long as you do not have to extend that wiring.

However, you do not have an issue. You have four wires and your appliance needs four wires.

Old 03-27-07, 01:05 PM
You should not connect this without proper instructions. Somewhere on this unit is a jumper which must be put into the correct position or the installation will not be safe. If you have the model number, google can usually find the installation instructions.

Yes, if you have four wires, you must buy a 4-wire cord to connect it. The previous installation may have ignored this rule.

Old 03-28-07, 02:50 AM
Hooked up everything today. It's all working fine.

Thanks John & Racraft for your help.

Old 03-29-07, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
correctly? What was the final outcome? 4 or 3 wire?

Others would like to know and may benefit from your findings.