Replacing the main breaker

Old 03-20-07, 08:14 PM
Replacing the main breaker

I need to replace the 100A main breaker. Do I need to remove the power company meter?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-07, 08:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You plan on replacing your main panel yourself?

This is A LOT of work and should be done by a license electrician.

the POCO will have to be called out to shut off main.

If you are upgrading to 200 amp, then most likely the meter will have to be pulled, and thats the POCO's job as well.

=== I may have miss read. Replacing just the main breaker itself? If so, the POCO can just shut your service off without pulling meter most of the time.

Old 03-20-07, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by ggould View Post
I need to replace the 100A main breaker. Do I need to remove the power company meter?

No. The power company does. One "OOPS" and it's "OH S..." Then all the hastle that goes with it.

You know..EMTs called out from dinner, The wife pulled out of a meeting the neighbors pulled away from chores (trying to see whats going on next door), that sort of stuff.

Call the POCO, don't mess with the meter.

Old 03-21-07, 07:30 AM
Wait, are you just talking about the breaker itself?

Old 03-21-07, 07:35 AM
Your post is unclear as to whether you're upgrading your service or just replacing a defective breaker. If you're upgrading, there's more involved than just replacing the panel and breaker with larger ones. The service cable may also require replacement.

I just upgraded the service in my house. Though I prefer to DIY everything, I hired an electrical contractor for the work. It was money well spent - they were in and out in about 4 hours.

Oddly, the job did not require a permit, just a final inspection. The inspector showed up later in the day. He didn't even open the panel, just asked me what company did the work and if they were done. Gotta love small towns.

Old 03-21-07, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Do I need to remove the power company meter?

No, you need to call the power company and have them remove it. Pulling the meter is hazardous and should only be done by a professional with protective equipment. If done incorrectly, the glass dome can explode.

The guy who pulls the meter will usually be able to come back in an hour or two to replace it.

Old 03-21-07, 01:44 PM
Please listen to the guys what they give a stern lecture on the metering device !!!

If OP or other peoples thinking about replacing the main breaker my suggest is that call the POCO to safely cut off the power in safe manner because from power lines to the house meter and to main breaker is UNFUSED if you have a short circuit or flash over it will not stop until either wire is complety vapourized or the POCO transformer fuse kicked out

the amout of short circuit is very high it will run more than 7,000 amp very easly

Belive or not i did survie the meter socket explolison i have a scar in my head to remind me of the safety [ that meter expoled it was 480 volt btw ]

so please heed the warning with this

i know many DIY is or was thinking to change the main breaker it could be easy task but majorty of the time it is not there is too many factor to get involed due each area is diffrent and i just can't tell you what the excat safe way on each main breakers each one have diffret way to deal with it

merci , marc

Old 03-21-07, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For anybody who pulls meters professionally, this is a great tool:

http://www.rauckmanutility.com/homemeterpuller.htm

Last edited by ibpooks; 03-21-07 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added professional use only
Old 03-21-07, 02:39 PM
Great site thanks. (sincerely)

I still stick to my posts.

Old 03-21-07, 02:50 PM
If you notice they refer to the persons using that meter tool as "operating personnel". That site and tool is aimed at utility workers and professionals. I see no reference to homeowners.
Right from their homepage: "Products for Utility Personnel.....Created by Utility Personnel"

I have the STRONG opinion that NO homeowner, handyman or DIYer should EVER remove a meter. There is simply NO reason they should or should have to.

Old 03-21-07, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree Speedy, I intended the link for other pros checking in on the thread. I edited my post to reflect that sentiment.

Old 03-21-07, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ggould View Post
Thank you for your help. The POCO will come out and disconnect and turn back on when I am finished