Outlet replacement at the end of the line...

Old 03-21-07, 03:14 PM
Question Outlet replacement at the end of the line...

I am replacing outlets in a 1950's house that has had an electrical "upgrade" prior to our purchase. I have had an easy time replacing 3 prong outlets, swapping out the old for the new, each with a ground wire and the white and black. I came to an outlet that is a jungle of wires, and can see 2 old 2 wire ungrounded cables, and 2 new 3 wire cables that I now realize run power to the other outlets "downline" that I have already replaced. Questions are: are the downline outlets actually "grounded" and, what can I do with the 2 ungrounded cables that feed into this one outlet box to provide power for all my kitchen outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-07, 03:57 PM
Maybe or maybe not. It depends. You will need to test them to be sure.

Old 03-21-07, 04:27 PM
any suggestions on how to tie in the 2 wire cable that has no ground wire into a 3 prong outlet and KNOW that: 1. It is safe 2. It is grounded to use on, for example, a computer or a shop vac that carry a three prong plug???

Old 03-21-07, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by traz7777 View Post
any suggestions on how to tie in the 2 wire cable that has no ground wire into a 3 prong outlet and KNOW that: 1. It is safe 2. It is grounded to use on, for example, a computer or a shop vac that carry a three prong plug???

someone may come in here and tell you how to do this, and you may like the cheep solution that they provide, but I am gonna tell you the truth.

what you ask for cannot be done. The only way to get properly grounded outlets throughout the rest of your house is to re-wire the rest of your house.

while you are at it.... there are many more code issues that you should bring up to date. kitchen recs should serve only the kitchen, dining, pantry, and breakfast nook to start.

Old 03-21-07, 05:11 PM
jwhite

Thanks for the straight scoop...it appears that the 2 wire cable may be fairly easy to pull and re-run from the circuit box...it seems that the whole run of kitchen and nook outlets is, as you say, confined to one circuit which originates from the box in the 2 wire cable. By replacing these 2 wire cables, the entire kitchen outlet circuit will be grounded properly. Now I can give some pretty clear direction to our soon to be new best friend, our small town electrician.

Old 03-21-07, 06:51 PM
Unless those two wire locations are grounded by some other means, extending them to new receptacles was a code violation.

I recommend that you replace the two wire cable with three wire cable to bring the entire circuit up to code.