dimmer problems

Old 03-22-07, 01:29 PM
Lightbulb dimmer problems

hello everyon

im new to this forum and looked up my problem but didnt find any answers so heres the problem

i bought a new dimmer switch from cooper wiring (model seems to be aspire) that has a switch plus a little dimmer on the side. it has 2 blue wires and 1 green wire and in my light switch box i have 2 black wires (that are connected to the old switch) and one white wire thats not connected anywhere. so i connected the 2 blue wires to the black wires, put the fuse back in and all i got was that the light was working but the dimmer and the switch to close it did not.

so my question is can i install my new dimmer switch with the current wiring and if i can what should i do to make it work

thanks a bunch to those who can help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 01:34 PM
Did the old switch work? What other wires are in the box?

Old 03-22-07, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you connected it correctly. I assume you connected one blue wire to one black wire and the other blue wire to the other black wire.

Though it is strange that you would have one white wire remaining.

Also, the green wire should be connected to the box if its metal, or to the ground wires (bare copper) if they exist - though it shouldn't affect the operation of the switch/dimmer.

Old 03-22-07, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you sure the power was off? Connect a dimmer with power on and.... Poof- Not noticable untill you try out the dimmer. You seem to have done everything correctly.

Old 03-22-07, 05:37 PM
Unhappy

ok so to answer all questions, my old dimmer was working perfectly and after a reinstalled it it was still working fine and wires are 2 black and 1 white no more-no less

And 1 blue wire to a black wire twice, but i didnt know about green on going to the box...that i should give a try and i read that the white wire might be a neutral wire...whatever that means.

And finally i made sure the power was off by testing the light right after i took out the fuse, but are you saying that if the light was on when i removed the fuse and the old switch, plugged the new one and put the fuse back could cause a problem???

btwi noticed that it says 3 way switch on the box but im inly using it for one light and one switch...is that a problem???

thanks again guys...whole lot faster than i tought it would be

Old 03-22-07, 05:53 PM
You can use a three way dimmer as a regular two way dimmer. However, you would need to connect the wires properly. Based on two blue wires and one green one, you have a normal two way dimmer.

Dimmers are very sensitive. one wrong move and they can fry.

You still haven't told us (not that I can figure out anyway) how the old dimmer was connected.

As a final sanity check, please describe the wiring at the light. Tell us ALL the wiring, not just the wires connected to the light. Finally, is there another switch involved somewhere?

If you don't know what a neutral wire is, you probably should not be attempting to do electrical work.

Old 03-22-07, 06:51 PM
3- WAY? You've more than just 2 blue and a green. The odd color (not green!) would be the "point" (common) use this on one black. And then a blue on the other black. Reverse the blues untill desired operation is acheived.

ALL moves must be made with the power off. Or fried dimmer for dinner.

Old 03-22-07, 07:04 PM
maybe your right...i should get someone who knows a bit about electricity...
but then again thats why im posting here , to learn a little cause my gf keeps saying im not a real man cause i cant fix nothing....
but anyway...the old switch was 2 black wires connected to the 2 black ones in the box...no ground

for the wiring at the light ill check and post asap and no other switches are involved

sorry to bother with the begginer questions...just trying to get it done for the less money possible (life as a student)

Old 03-22-07, 07:17 PM
sorry to bother with the begginer questions...just trying to get it done for the less money possible (life as a student)***

No bother-- Stay in school.

**to learn a little cause my gf keeps saying im not a real man ***
This is for another forum.. Find your own links

Old 03-22-07, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Something doesn't add up at the switch box if this is wired with NM cable. There could be two black and two white or a red, black, white but not two blacks and a white. Maybe it is conduit not NM but that unconnected white is still a puzzle.

Ghost 316, Is it cables or conduit coming into the switch box? How many? Any wires you haven't mentioned?

Old 03-23-07, 07:20 AM
thanks for the help

thanks for the help guys but i think ill go with the elctrician option...the diy option is just not for me in the electrical department...ill keep doing it in what i know...computers.

but keep up the good work guys, i really appriciated the speed and help