Gas system bonding

Old 03-22-07, 03:52 PM
Gas system bonding

Question to any electricians here:

I need some information regarding gas system bonding as it pertains to NFPA 70 (NEC). This is not by any means for a DIY project. This information is needed to clear up a debate between myself and my boss.

The question....

Is it stated anywhere in the NEC, that the bonding of gas systems must be done by a licensed electrician? If so, could you please state the section of the code and if possible, the section word for word.

I have read numerous technical bulletins as a result of recent class action suits involving CSST that say the bonding must be done by a licensed electrician, I just need to know the specific section.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 04:01 PM
I believe that the definition of an electrician is outside the scope of the NEC, and that the NEC does not specify whom, other than a qualified person, is to do any work.

Old 03-22-07, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply racraft. I reread my info and it does say "qualified electrician".

I would like to amend my original post to ask, what is the definition of a "qualified electrician" pertaining to the NEC?

Old 03-22-07, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Qualified Person-NEC 70 Art-100

" One who has the skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

FPN: Refer to NFPA 70E-2004. Standard for Electrical safety in the workplace,for electrical safety training requirements."

So right back at ya. Are you or someone else there qualified?

If you or anyone there do this work, These documents should be readily available to them. If not--

I would assume that there is no "Qualified person" on staff.

Old 03-22-07, 04:52 PM
"Qualified person" Nec defintions article 100......One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installation and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

If I can add a little first hand knowledge....CSST is a product commonly called "gastite". It requires certification of the qualified person for bonding. It is not the same as black pipe. The certification is only about a 1/2 day class but I suppose it varies depending on who gives the class. Look at it as the same as backflow certification. Your not qualified until your knowledgeable so to speak. Certification is your way of proving that your qualified. Of course none of this matters until an improperly bonded csst line bursts during a lightning event and it is discovered that it wasn't bonded or incorrectly bonded. Then the legal stuff starts.

Roger

Old 03-22-07, 04:56 PM
Thanks lectriclee.

No, I am not qualified. Nor am I afraid to admit it. It's the powers that be trying to skirt around the issues.

I've already stated a firm no, that I'm not getting involved with the bonding as I'm not an electrician. This is aside from the fact that one municipality that we do a lot of work in requires it be done by a licensed electrician.

The powers that be also try to conveniently hide certain information when it pertains to situations such as this.

Old 03-22-07, 05:08 PM
Thumbs up Good for you!

Hank always remember, In this industry. If you touch it you own it.

As roger eludes to, If done improperly, What do you save?

I will for the life of me never understand people!

The money they save, can be easily quadrupled into losses and or jail time. Go figure.

Old 03-22-07, 05:21 PM
Are you aware of the latest bonding TB for csst issued on 1/26/07? They have made a few changes to the one in 2006.

Roger

Old 03-22-07, 05:29 PM
No. But I'll look, I don't use it alot in my current position.

Old 03-22-07, 06:03 PM
The word "electrician" doesn't even appear in the code, except for two slight references in Appendix G about who should be on the Electrical Board. So the code book is not going to resolve this debate.

Old 03-22-07, 06:24 PM
nap
the code will also not indicate anything regarding "licensure".

licensing is a state or local requirement (if it is required at all). the code does not have the power to control licensing.