Can I make a steel panel cover, and pass code/

Old 03-22-07, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I make a steel panel cover, and pass code/

I am not having any luck in finding a circuit panel cover for my home that is 39 years old. It is a Square D, 100 amp.

Can I make one out of steel that is attached to the original box screw holes with a hinged door for entry into such?

Thanks,

Dale
Indy

This home was a bank repo, and I can only assume the cover was on the floor, up against the wall when the bank hired a crew to CLEAN THE PLACE OUT, and there it went, into the dumpster, MAYBE. I will never know.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 07:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes,make the door so it can be latched. Make the steel of the same grade as the can. Then buy some electric gray paint.(esthetics). and it's good.

Old 03-23-07, 05:25 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you missing just the door, or the entire cover? Making the door, like Lee says, may satisfy the inspectors, but I would be a little worried once I opened the door, all the guts of the panel are exposed, and it may create a danger. I have answered a similar post, and our local hardware store sells just the covers for various boxes, so I know they are available. Even if you have to buy an entire new panel with door, and just use the door, I would try to get as close to original as possible. Has Square-D been any help at all?

Old 03-23-07, 08:23 PM
YEP, Dead Front too!

Chandler is correct. I missed this tid bit.

With the door open the electrical parts must still be coverd. This is the "dead front" If your plan does not handle this then your door is no good.