Exterior wall mounted lights

Old 03-22-07, 06:50 PM
Exterior wall mounted lights

Hi,

My apologies in advance if this is a bit out of the "electrical scope".

I need to prep for some exterior wall mounted lights and I'm not sure how this is normally done.

The exterior wall is currently sheathed and house wrapped. No siding yet. From the inside, there's no sheetrock or insulation yet either.

I plan on putting either beveled cedar siding or hardiplank beveled siding and using 5/4" flat stock for exterior trim (thicker than he profile of the siding).

But for now I need to do the rough-in wiring.

Since any light fixture would need to be mounted on some type of flat mounting block, I'm guessing I would take a square piece of the 5/4 trim and fasten it to the sheathing Then the light fixture would have a flat surface to be fastened to and the siding would be run up to the mounting block. But in this situation, where does the electrical box get mounted, flush with the sheathing? Flush with the mounting block? And how is it waterproofed?

How is this normally handled on a new construction site when the electrician is there, but exterior work is not ready?

NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your assumption is correct. Mount the block, then make a 3"hole or 4" buy an old work (remodel) box and install when ready. Done.

Old 03-23-07, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just be sure to mount it far enough away from the prospective door molding so the siding guys don't poke needles in a voodoo doll with your head on it for having to side too small an area between your block and the molding.

Old 03-23-07, 09:34 AM
They make special mounting blocks that match your siding that are specifically for this and include integrated J-channel and make life easy for the siding guy and look great when they're done. If you know the brand/color/etc, of the siding, you can go ahead and put this on now. Don't mount the box flush with the sheating, or the screws won't fit- mount the box so it comes out flush with the front of the block so you can get a good weather-tight seal.

Same deal for hose bibbs and exterior receptacles. The back part nails to the sheathing, and the front ring snaps on after the siding is up.

http://www.imagepup.com/up/d0lu_1174664438_sidingboxes.jpg