Is there a way to test a GFCI receptacle?

Old 03-23-07, 07:44 AM
Is there a way to test a GFCI receptacle?

...diconnected from power that is? I have a couple of slightly used ones I've replaced thinking they were the culprits. Can I use a voltmeter or something to test their functionality without having to go thru hooking them to power and testing?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-07, 07:49 AM
No.

To test the GFCI requires power and then either an external tester or the built in internal tester.

Old 03-23-07, 09:55 AM
Shoot, too bad. I was hoping for a quick shortcut (read lazy) approach. Thanks.

Old 03-23-07, 11:45 AM
The lazy approach is to get new GFCIs. Some of the newer ones have built in _automatic_ self test features, better surge protection on their internal electronics, protection from reverse polarity wiring. These additional features might make it worth not installing the used GFCIs that you have.

-Jon

Old 03-23-07, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
was hoping for a quick shortcut (read lazy) approach. ###

In this bussiness, thats what gets people hurt (short cuts kill). Only one way.. The right way..... Mess up with this.. If your lucky.. you try again.. If not.. your Bride collects. It may seem harsh and some lucky soles have pulled it off.

Just a matter of time. before the install or a mistake catches up to you or someone else.

Old 03-24-07, 02:23 AM
The usual buildt in test funktion connects live to ground via a resistor letting approx 10 or 30 milliamps pass to ground.
An home-made testplug could consist of a grounded plug containing a resistor
5 watts 3300 ohms resistor, (or a 5 w 120V) lamp connected between live and ground. (nothing connected to N)

If the breaker not relases, something is wrong, no grounding or error in gfci
The lamp shold light up or resistor get warmer if attatched to an unprotected grounded outlet.

dsk

Old 03-24-07, 05:06 AM
d_s_k,

The original poster wanted a way to test the GFCI receptacles without connecting to power.

Old 03-24-07, 06:20 AM
Yeah I knew if the word "shortcut" was mentioned here in any context it would get shredded. But trust me, I understand all that. Was just wondering if these was a way to test these GFCI's quickly with a voltmeter or something. I understand the answer to be a flat nope.

I've decided as has been suggested, to simply throw them away and buy them new on demand.

Old 03-24-07, 10:24 AM
d_s_k said, "The usual buildt in test funktion connects live to ground via a resistor letting approx 10 or 30 milliamps pass to ground."

This is not the way the built-in test function works. The built-in test function does not use or need a ground. That's why the built-in test function can test ungrounded GFCI receptacles while a plug-in external tester cannot. The external tester cannot test an ungrounded GFCI.

Old 03-25-07, 08:50 AM
To fully test them, they need to have power connected.
That is all I am going to say.

The internal test button, at least on an older one I dissected, connects hot on the load side to neutral on the line side, throught the test resistor.

I believe the plug in tseter connects hot to ground, through a resistor.

Old 03-25-07, 12:34 PM
Who the hell cares I mean honestly if there was even a question of their integrity, and they are rather dated then toss em! A false sense of security can cost you your life, if they do not function. It's 7 or 8 bucks do it the right way. And as mentioned, the new ones are much better .