220V to 110V outlet conversion

Old 03-23-07, 11:32 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
220V to 110V outlet conversion

Have an Electric stove currently, and am replacing with gas stove that has to be plugged into 110V outlet for control panel. Can the 220V outlet that my electric stove is plugged into right now either be converted, or can a 110V outlet be wired off of that outlet? What is the best way to resolve this problem?

Old 03-23-07, 11:45 AM
R
The best way to resolve the problem is to leave the 240 volt circuit alone and to run a new 120 volt circuit.

Whether or not you can convert the existing 240 volt circuit to 120 volts depends on the existing circuit. Is it copper wire or aluminum? What wires are present in the cable?

Old 03-23-07, 12:06 PM
G
If it's a 4-wire 240V circuit (black, red, white & ground), it can be converted. It may be tricky given the large wires (especially if the wires are aluminum) and you'd have to replace the 40A breaker with a 20A, but it would be a pretty basic multiwire circuit, and there's no reason you'd have to tear into your walls to pull new cable.

Old 03-23-07, 02:34 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I hate to step in here but this is kinda common question related with the stove [ Range ] wiring set up with conversion from 240 to 120 volt

it is possible with 4 wire setup [ red black and white and green or bare ] but have to change breaker on that from 50/40 amp to 20 amp and have to pigtailed both breaker and receptale

but if older 3 wire black red silver or white only like fine strand wrapped around the two other wire IMO it is not very fesible to do it unless it for one circuit

but for myself i just genrally leave it alone you never know in future you may change back to electric range or go with dual fuel range which i know it will take gaz and 120-240 volt electric

but give you a head up some local area may not allow this pratice at all so just give you a fair warning here

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: