Quick wiring question.....

Old 03-24-07, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick wiring question.....

When stapleing wires that are entering and leaving a recepticle box is it ok to stack the wires on top of each other ? Also when running wires across the ceiling studs in the attic. Do you have to run a board perpendicular on top of the studs and staple the wires to that? Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-07, 03:49 PM
Most all-metal staples accommodate up to two NM cables. Stack them side to side and put one side against the stud. Don't drive the staple too tightly. If you need more than two, there are various devices to accommodate that.

Attic wiring codes have been covered many times here. You can probably find more by searching for the word "attic". The answer to your question depends on whether you have a permanant ladder or stairs to the attic, and how far from the access hole the cables are.

Old 03-24-07, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply John. No permanant stairs to the attic but wires will be within 2' of opening. Attic is not used for storage because there isn't alot of space or headroom.

So those plastic wire holders I saw at Home Depot would be alright for multiple wires?

Old 03-24-07, 08:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Typicaly (laying flat) 2 cables per staple. If your atick is no more than 5' (top to bottom) then you can run wires on the joists. Be carefull of the opening for the hatch.

Sounds as though you won't need the special staples.

Old 03-24-07, 09:47 PM
There are several different kind of "plastic wire holders", so I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Many of those things are designed for only one cable. You'll notice that I carefully said "all-metal staples" in my prior reply.

You need "substantial guard strips" for your attic cables that cross joists within 6 feet of the opening. A "substantial guard strip" is generally regarded as a 2x4. Staple the cable to the side of it. When running cable parallel to the joists, staple the cable to the side of them.