Sockets on a dedicated circuit

Old 03-25-07, 04:44 PM
Sockets on a dedicated circuit

I am moving to a house in a couple of weeks. We want to put in a microwave/vent combo over the stove. Now i read that it has to be a socket on its own circuit. How can i test to see if a socket is? They is a socket right by the stove that i think must be for the microwave. thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-07, 05:03 PM
You won't be that lucky. If there was not previously a microwave over the stove, there is almost zero chance that you can use an existing circuit.

Old 03-25-07, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The easy way with no tools. Plug in a radio/light to that receptacle (turn it on). Then shut off 1 breaker/ckt at a time. When you find the one in question, leave it off and move the radio/light to each rec. to see what else does not work.

While your at it.. do this with every ckt in the panel. Just incase you need to shut one off in a hurry. You will know what they serve.

Old 03-25-07, 07:32 PM
One thing that I always recommend is to completely map out ALL the circuits in the house. The information could save your life some day, and will be invaluable under some circumstances.

Even if the circuit next to the stove is on it's own circuit, you will need to change it. Either you will have to put a blank cover on it and run a wire to the microwave hood, or you will want to simply move it completely to the new location, usually a receptacle mounted in the cabinet above the microwave.