Add line to an existing receptacle

Old 03-26-07, 11:18 AM
Add line to an existing receptacle

I would like to add electrical outlet and light fixture outside coming from inside receptacle that the end of the line is used. The outside outlet will be located directly opposite the inside receptacle and the light fixture is above the outside receptable. I also want the light to be controlled by a switch. Is it possible without breaking a code and how to do it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-07, 11:23 AM
More information is needed for the code answer.

What inside room is this? Is this modern wiring (two wires plus a ground) or old wiring (no ground)?

As to whether or not this is a good idea or not, we need to know what else is on the circuit. What rooms are served? Lights? Receptacles? Appliances? How do you use the receptacles, etc.

Old 03-26-07, 11:26 AM
Add line from existing line

The house was built on early 70's. The existing outlet was on a tv room and no major equipment or appliances connected to it. Receptacle is grounded to answer your question.

Thanks

Old 03-26-07, 11:30 AM
This should be a fairly easy project. Almost all wiring books at your home center will guide you through it. We'll be here to answer any specific questions you have along the way. If you have aluminum wiring on this circuit, a lot of special precautions will be needed.

Old 03-26-07, 11:32 AM
I did not ask simply about the existing receptacle and what you use it for. I asked about the entire circuit and what is o the entire circuit. What other receptacles are on the circuit? What is plugged into those receptacles? What lights are on the circuit? Etc.