Replacing oven/range with sep. appliances

Old 03-26-07, 11:47 AM
Replacing oven/range with sep. appliances

Hello!
I'm new to the forums. Looks like a great bunch of folks here. I'm replacing a one-piece oven/range unit with a separate 26-inch electric cooktop and 24-inch (3.1 cu.ft.) oven. The current range/oven is on a 240V line with a 40-amp breaker. Would 40 amps typically be enough protection here for both new appliances, or should I have a new line run so that each is on a separate circuit? I have a spare line on the same wall that was used for a dishwasher and looks to be on a 20 amp breaker. It was run off of the same circuit used by the washing machine in the basement directly below it, however.

Thanks in advance.

- Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-07, 11:54 AM
Both of your appliances will need separate 240 volt circuits. Typically they are less than 40 amps and you cannot use one circuit for both.

The existing 40 amp circuit (or the cable anyway) may or may not be able to be used for one of the devices. It will depend on whether it is in the correct location, what type of cable is used, etc.

What are the requirements of both the new appliances. Start there. Also tell us the details about the existing circuit, other than 40 amp. Three wire? Four wire? Aluminum wire? Copper Wire?

Old 03-27-07, 08:25 AM
Quote: “Both of your appliances will need separate 240 volt circuits. Typically they are less than 40 amps and you cannot use one circuit for both.”

Section 210.23(C) allows a 40 or 50 amp branch circuit to serve two or more fastened in place cooking appliances.