Outside motion light

Old 03-27-07, 01:47 PM
Outside motion light

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here is my problem.

I want to put a motion sensor light in my backyard on the otherside of one of my bedroom walls. What are my options to get a fixture on the outside wall. Can I pigtail from another inside outlet? How can I go about doing this.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can run a new circuit or you can extend an existing general-purpose circuit if there's enough capacity. You cannot extend existing circuits from kitchens, bathrooms or dedicated appliances.

Old 03-27-07, 01:59 PM
o there are no appliances on this circuit. If i extend an existing cicuit I would have to have my switch inside and then run the fixture outside. Am I correct in thinking this. I'm a new home owner so my electrical knowledge is limited. I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I start this project. Is it something i can accomplish with a little research and time or do i need to call a pro?

Old 03-27-07, 02:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> I'm a new home owner so my electrical knowledge is limited.

Reading a book or two on home wiring is great place to get started. This will give you an idea what complexity of projects you feel comfortable with. Adding an exterior light is a fairly simple project that many homeowners could complete with some studying. _Wiring Simplified_ is a short, $10 book available at most hardware and home center stores that will teach you many of the fundamentals of home wiring.

Old 03-27-07, 08:05 PM
In addition to "Wiring Simplified", I recommend you also get one of those beginning home wiring books with all the colorful pictures and diagrams.

Old 03-29-07, 12:40 PM
Just to update, I got a home wiring book and it looks like it will help.

Now just a few more questions. If I pigtail from my existing recptacle, I need to run the cable to my switch and then on to the fixture. Am I correct here. Also, is fishing cable straight up the wall this way very difficult?

Old 03-29-07, 12:42 PM
Whether you ru the cable to the switch first and then to the light or whether you run to the light first and then to the switch is entirely up to you.

Old 03-29-07, 01:19 PM
Running the cable to the switch first, and then to the light, is more simple and less error-prone. However, either will work.

Running a cable through an insulated wall is more difficult than running a cable through an uninsulated wall. In an insulated wall, you'll need something pretty stiff to push the cable through. And try not to compromise the vapor barrier.

Old 03-29-07, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the help guys, is there a standard height to put the switch or is it pretty much up to where I want to put it. Thanks.

Old 03-29-07, 02:55 PM
There's no real requirement, but 48" is usually a pretty good height. (ADA allows a max of 48" for handicapped accessibility, IIRC)

Measure and see where the rest of the switches in your house are, and put it at the same height for consistency. If it's like my house, though, there won't be any!

Old 03-29-07, 04:18 PM
Thanks again for the help and suggestion. I will post back if I have any more problems or questions

Old 03-29-07, 05:38 PM
What guage wire is acceptable for this project. I believe 14/3 is what is there now. I heard 12/3 was better (able to handle more), but since only one light will be used it should not be a problem, correct?

Old 03-29-07, 05:42 PM
You need either 14-2 or 12-2. 14-2 for a 15 amp circuit or 12-2 for a 20 amp circuit.

Old 04-02-07, 01:49 PM
Well I installed the light and it works like a charm, just hoping the sensor is sensative enough to keep the small critters off my lawn.