Main Breaker problems

Old 03-27-07, 02:31 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Breaker problems

I purchaed a square D homeline panel for my 200 amp service some time ago. It did not come with the main, as I was told so that it could be field converted. I went to the local electrical supply house today and the young fellow told me "we don't carry them, and for what you will pay for the breaker you can just buy a new panel" I told him i need ground wire for a 200 amp service and he gave me obviously thing wire as well, i think it is #6. Did I just get a foolish young fellow or did I get ripped in a bad way with the "value panel"

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 02:48 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
> I purchaed a square D homeline panel for my 200 amp service

Which model number?

> what you will pay for the breaker you can just buy a new panel

That could be the case. Sometimes the main breaker costs as much as the panel/main kit.

> ground wire for a 200 amp service

The EGC wire to a four wire 200A service should be #6 copper. The GEC from the 200A panel to the ground rod(s) should be #4 copper. Which do you mean?

Old 03-27-07, 03:18 PM
B
The wire that runs to the ground rod and water pipe. It is really thin. It says #6 on it but I dont htink it really is 6. i have some that is a thick as my boot lace, it's #4 , should I use that?

Old 03-27-07, 03:23 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
>

> ground wire for a 200 amp service

The EGC wire to a four wire 200A service should be #6 copper. The GEC from the 200A panel to the ground rod(s) should be #4 copper. Which do you mean?

if the GEC is only attached to the rods, it does not need to be larger than #6 cu. (nec '99 250-66(a) (don't have my '05 handy but I don;t believe it has changed))

Old 03-27-07, 03:24 PM
J
From the sound of your questions, you should not be doing any of this work. Sorry to be critical, but there are reasons why electrical licenses are hard to get, and most of it has to do with your families safety.

The guy at the electrical supply house likely knew more than the salesperson(?) at big orange. The panel should have come with a main breaker.

Old 03-27-07, 03:29 PM
B
FYI , the panels do NOT come with the main , and theres a reason for that. I knew if it only went to the ground rod 6 was ok, but I thought because it goes to the ground rod AND cold water pipe that I had to use #4 ....In fact , I am almost positive I used #4 for the 200 amp service in my lake house. I can't find a reciept but I know thats what I used. They would not fail me for using too large a GEC would they? My other house is in a diffrent jurisdication but still I want to be safe ...

Last edited by burkej62; 03-27-07 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-27-07, 04:06 PM
nap
you are correct in the sizing in the situation you describe and no, they will not ding you for too large of a conductor. Better to big than too small.

post the model number of the panel. I or somebody else will try to find the main breaker kit and maybe a list price.

=====================

Not sure what you mean by this post:

FYI , the panels do NOT come with the main , and theres a reason for that.

I have purchased panels with and without main breakers and have converted some panels that did come without a main breaker to a main breaker.

the problem you may come across is that the panel MUST be listed as "service entrance equipment" since an MLO panel is not intended to be service equipment (in most cases) it may not have the neccessary rating.

Old 03-27-07, 04:12 PM
B
It's not a MLO , theres no lugs at all just the studs where the breaker goes on . It is a value pack load center . It came with a large assortment of breakers , just not the main. It also came with an accesory kit netral to.

Old 03-27-07, 05:20 PM
nap
if it does not come with a main and must be field converted, it is an MLO panel. The lugs go on the studs.

since you did not list the model number or care to explain what this meant:

FYI , the panels do NOT come with the main , and theres a reason for that.

there is nothing more I can offer you.

Old 03-27-07, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
burke,

You bought a MAIN BREAKER panel that someone stole the breaker out of.
FYI, Homeline panels most certainly DO come with the main breaker. That or main lugs. I don't know who told you different but they are WRONG!

The fact that it was a "Value Pack" even reinforces this. I don't know if value packs even come in anything but main breaker. I have never seen one that wasn't.

ibpooks was incorrect as to ground wire sizing. You were correct.
A GEC going only to a ground rod(s) can be #6. #4 is fine as well
An EGC, or other type of GEC such as a water pipe ground or Ufer must be #4.
A water bond must also be #4.

Old 03-27-07, 07:09 PM
J
I bought a SquareD Homeline Value Pak without a main breaker not that long ago.

But continuing to discuss this without a panel model number is just plain silly. burkej62, why won't you give us the model number?

Old 03-27-07, 07:51 PM
nap
[QUOTE=Speedy Petey;1149631]
The fact that it was a "Value Pack" even reinforces this. I don't know if value packs even come in anything but main breaker. I have never seen one that wasn't.

QUOTE]

I cruised over to Square D's website and yes, they do make a Homeline 200 amp MLO value pack.

Old 03-27-07, 08:38 PM
B
Sorry, The panel is at my other house ... I am going out there tommrow to sort this out and will get it you .

Old 03-28-07, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They do have V-P's as MLO?
OK, thanks. I had never seen one.

Old 03-30-07, 03:00 PM
B
The only nunbers I could find are "so1" and "40172"