Meter Base Replacement

Old 03-29-07, 10:11 AM
Meter Base Replacement

The POCO informed my me that the meter-base on one of my rentals needs replaced. I plan to have the POCO disconnect power at the pole. I intend to perform the replacement myself and then have it inspected before re-energizing the system.

QUESTION: Can anyone guide me as to the type of meter socket needed relative to the size of the entrance cable and breaker panel AMP capacity?

Thanks in advance,
gsharpe

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 10:18 AM
Absolutely.

The BEST source of information will be your utility, after all, it is THEIR meter that will be installed.

You need to first comply with the utility requirements and then comply with the requirements of your local electrical code.

Old 03-29-07, 12:07 PM
Yes indeed

Thanks for the suggestion. I already request for support in to the POCO.
I was hoping that I would get pointers on the installation. For instance, if the existng entrance cable is aluminum should I use di-electric grease?

gsharpe

Old 03-29-07, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> if the existng entrance cable is aluminum should I use di-electric grease?

Yes. Any aluminum wire terminations should be cleaned, shined with a wire brush, coated with non-oxidation grease and torqued to manufacturer's spec.

The more difficult issues to address are things like bonding bushings and the GEC system. The rules for what gets connected where vary quite a bit from power company to power company. For example, some areas require that the neutral be bonded to the meter frame -- other areas prohibit bonding and require a floating neutral. You'll need to get the rules for your local power company before we can go much further. They should also be able to provide you with a list of approved meter bases or you may need to buy a meter base from them.

Old 03-29-07, 04:29 PM
the other thing that when you replace the meter socket some case it will be wise to upgrade the breaker/fuse box as well if you have exsting 60 amp fuse box or the service wires get really faided or point it look pretty bad that is the good time to upgrade it

"" The POCO informed my me that the meter-base on one of my rentals needs replaced. I plan to have the POCO disconnect power at the pole. I intend to perform the replacement myself and then have it inspected before re-energizing the system. ""

i will just stop right there because you have to check the electrical dept for the permits to replace the meter socket and if you are a landlord i will strongly get a electrician to come out and do this because there are other part it will be involed related to the NEC and local codes as well .

Merci , Marc

Old 03-29-07, 08:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hire It Out

Reasons: Post #1- question.
Post #3.

If these need to be asked or answered... Hire it out.

Old 03-30-07, 05:29 AM
Cool Re: HIRE IT OUT

FACT 1: This job was "HIRED OUT" to a professional electrician before my original post.
FACT 2: All work performed will be inspected by a licensed inspector.
FACT 3: I will never sacrafice SAFETY for $$$.

I have always found this forum to be both informative and entertaining.
It provides for open discussion through which members can learn. I ask questions to learn for others experience. From this knowledge I can hopefully determine if the cost of materials is justified. In addition, I can measure the work performed against the suggestions offered.

[removed, not appropriate]

Old 03-30-07, 05:40 AM
gsharpe,

The advice given here ranges from "I donít know the answer to your question" all the way up to "You should hire someone to do this job." Likewise the questions vary from the simple to the complex; from less dangerous to more dangerous.

Without us knowing any of the posters, it is impossible to judge whether any individual poster has the knowledge or the skills to perform the task they are asking about. Further, unless we know someone is planning on hiring the job out (because they tell us), we assume they plan on doing the job themselves. When the tone of the posts indicate to us that someone maybe shouldn't try a particular job themselves, we are obligated to point that out.

If you were planning on hiring this out from the beginning, and were only looking for knowledge to make discussions with an electrician easier, perhaps you should have made that clear in one of your earlier posts.

Old 03-30-07, 05:56 AM
Thumbs up

Your point is well taken. I guess I forgot to take my PROZAC this morning.

Old 04-02-07, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by gsharpe View Post
FACT 1: This job was "HIRED OUT" to a professional electrician before my original post.
FACT 2: All work performed will be inspected by a licensed inspector.
FACT 3: I will never sacrafice SAFETY for $$$.

I have always found this forum to be both informative and entertaining.
It provides for open discussion through which members can learn. I ask questions to learn for others experience. From this knowledge I can hopefully determine if the cost of materials is justified. In addition, I can measure the work performed against the suggestions offered.

[removed, not appropriate]
I'm sorry you took offence. In no post did I see that you were asking for confirmation. You asked in the "I" terms and your questions indicated that in no way were you ready to tackle such a job.

If you were upfront and mentioned that you were looking to confirm what a "pro" had told you or done.. My answer would have been different.

Sorry for the delayed responce, I've been away.