30 amps disconnector for steam generator

Old 03-31-07, 06:49 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
30 amps disconnector for steam generator

..I am installing a steam generator for the shower... the manual says a disconnect (30 amps) should bed used besides a dedicated circuit...my elctrician says we need an outdoor ACC disconnect....

I am not sure why i would need an outdoor disconnect when the unit is installed in the basement...when i asked him , he could not give me a good reason....

what do u guys think?

Old 03-31-07, 06:59 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ah, I can;t think of a reason for using an ourtdoor disconnect either, unless it rains in your basement.

The least expensive disconnects I can find are the ones used for A/C units (the pull out non fused ones). They are typically 60 amp rated and the last one I bought was about eight and a half bucks. A lot less than a typical disconnect. (just by coincidence, they are 3R (outside) rated too.)

Old 03-31-07, 07:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The fact that it is rated for outdoor use is probably incidental in this case. The type of disconnect you need is most often used on such things as AC units and thus mounted outside. No problem using an outdoor rated unit inside.

Edit: OOps Nap beat me by one minute. Guess I shouldn't have spell checked.

Old 03-31-07, 07:11 PM
C
thanks guys ...so it doesnt matter if I get an outdoor one..how about getting a fused or non-fused one?

Old 03-31-07, 08:37 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Where is this disconnect going to be located? If it is in the same room as the steam shower, maybe he is thinking all that steam will be like outside in the rain.

Old 03-31-07, 09:08 PM
C
Originally Posted by joed
Where is this disconnect going to be located? If it is in the same room as the steam shower, maybe he is thinking all that steam will be like outside in the rain.

the disconnect is going to be located pretty close to the unit in the basement... steam goes to bathroom in 2nd floor.

Old 04-01-07, 04:03 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joed

You may be right joed, but I hope not. If the disconnect is in the same room as the steam, he needs at min a nema 4, and more likely a 4x or 12.

IMHO steam is a killer to electric boxes. I go out of my way to get them out of the enviornment with the steam. It tends to seep into every type of box.

In the basement is a great way to do it, when the steam is going to a room upstairs.

Old 04-01-07, 11:21 AM
C
So whether is fused or not make any difference?

thanks

Old 04-01-07, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You would only need a fused disconnect if the manufacturers instructions called for one.

Old 04-01-07, 11:40 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by christy123
So whether is fused or not make any difference?

thanks

If the rating of the breaker is the same as the rating that the equipment mfg requires. (by a note in the directions or on the lable "max fuse or breaker size") then you you can use an un-fused disconnect.

If the rating of the breaker is 30 amps and the mfg requires 25 amps max, then you can either replace the breaker, or use a fused disconnect.

Old 04-01-07, 12:24 PM
C
OK..manufacturer specifies 30 amps and the unit will have its dedicated breaker... so i guess unfused will be OK?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: