what type of conduit and what voltage to run through it?

Old 03-30-07, 12:06 AM
what type of conduit and what voltage to run through it?

I have a front gate i want to automate with an electric motor. i also want to put a doorbell at the front gate as well as a electromagnetic lock.
it is 15 metres from the house to the gate, i will have to run underground conduit from house to gate, but what sort of conduit do i need? it needs to be flexible stuff, i have notived there are grey colored and orange colored conduit, grey is UV treated and orange is for underground applications? is that right? and it is the orange stuff i need here?

Next question, voltage, do i run 240 volts through the conduit from the house to the transformer in the motor or do i place the transformer in the house and run just run 24 volts to the motor outside through the conduit? keeping in mind i will also run a couple of wires for the magnetic lock and a couple for the door bell, will 240volts cause interference in the lower voltage wires or not? should they be shielded wire? will the 24 volts run over the 15 metres cause any problem voltage drop?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-07, 02:41 AM
If you are measuring in meters and not feet, then you probably do not live in the usa. The codes that I am familiar with probably do not apply where you live.

I also have not seen 24v gate motors. You need to start with the name plate data for all of your equipment. Then plan your conduit runs from there.

What voltage/amperage/phase/hertz are your equipment?

Old 03-30-07, 06:50 AM
Australia.
this is the gate motor is at http://www.ata-aust.com.au/shop/?fuseaction=info&id=62&i=4&ct_id=75
1 phase i think, 240 volts, 50hz with a 24volt 150VA transformer inside it that can be removed and mounted remotely if needed.
the magnet lock is 12Volts 500mA

Old 03-30-07, 07:37 PM
I am going to back off. I do not know the codes in your country.

As for interference. I see no issues. As for code, this could be a problem.

Old 03-30-07, 07:44 PM
I think this is a really neat idea, and I really like the lock . However, this is a touchy topic for the majority of us, concerning your natonal and local electric codes. I wish you the best of luck tho . Be safe.

Old 04-01-07, 02:52 PM
ok cool, time to consult an australian electrician i think.