Electrical Box Help

Old 03-31-07, 02:10 PM
Question Electrical Box Help

In my office at home we have an over head light and a walk in closet with a light in it. Both are controlled from a wall switch that has two switches on it..one on top of the other, if that makes sense.
I am going to be replacing the overhead light fixture with a ceiling fan and light and want to have a wall control for the fan as well as not disturbing the switch for the closet light.
Is it just a matter of pulling the single electrical box out and putting in one that will house two switches?
Can someone just outline the steps involved in accomplishing this?
I think its just a matter of getting the old box out of there and cutting to accomodate for a bigger box and seperating the wires to the appropriate switches..
Im sure there are more details so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 03:10 PM
Not quite sure about something. If one switch controls the closet and one controls the overhead light you are ok. If you can install a two gang box in place of the single you now have, you can install one single pole switch for the closet light. Many fans now come with a controller that uses only one switch leg (the line from the existing switch going to the overhead light). The controller has built in circuitry with seperate controls for fan and light. I have a Casablanca that works this way

Old 03-31-07, 03:14 PM
Yep one of the switches controls the light in the closet and one controls the light in the room.
so what I want to do is put in a bigger box to house a new single pole switch for the closet and then have a switch for the fan as well.. side by side.
I have never actually replaced an electrical box before so thats why I came here I obviously want to do it right

Old 03-31-07, 03:47 PM
First, a word of a caution. Find the circuit that controls the switch(s) and deactivate it(fuse or breaker). Remove the plate and switch. Mark the opening by overlaying a new, old-work two-gang box. Cut out the drywall, making sure not to make the hole bigger than the two extensions of the box that are meant to rest on the surface of the drywall(I hope it's drywall. Big mess if it's plaster) Pry the old box out (probably nailed to the stud. Carefully unsplice the wires and make a diagram. More than likely there is a white neutral splice with at least two wires, possibly a black, hot leg splice with wires going to each switch and unspliced black wire going to each switch. Install the new box by inserting the wires removed from the old box, sliding the new box into the wall and tightening the screws in the corners of the box (they turn a flap that will grab the drywall from behind) Now splice the wires back together as they were before with one switch leg to each new switch. Test everything. Good luck

Old 04-01-07, 10:50 AM
You could also replace the double switch with a triple switch.
Unless you are adding another wire to control the fan, this will be the best option.

Old 04-01-07, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by cmishh View Post
Is it just a matter of pulling the single electrical box out and putting in one that will house two switches?
If the original electricain ran a 3 conductor cable between the switch box and the light fixture you may be correct. If not you may need to replace the existing two conductor cable with a 3 conductor cable.

Old 04-02-07, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Agreed With Rockpro.

I lean for the 2 wire fan. The money spent is easily offset buy the time saved.

Check into it. now you must only enlarge the box. No new wires.