Kenmore Frig Trips GFI (sometimes)

Old 04-01-07, 06:53 PM
Kenmore Frig Trips GFI (sometimes)

Okay, I know it's against the rules to have your frig plugged into a GFI so let me explain. We received frig to put in our garage and the only place to plug it in is on a GFI. At first everything was working fine, after a couple of days the frig would trip the GFI. We have a freezer plugged into this same GFI and have never had any issues (still do not). I can run an extension cord into the house and plug the frig into a regular outlet, the light will work but the compressor? will not kick on. I find it odd that it seems to work just fine on the GFI at night and then during the day you can even get the plug half way in without it tripping. This is an older Kenmore frig, model 363.974.1783.

Thanks for your help ...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-07, 02:54 PM
*bump*

Welcome to the DoItYourself.com forums nlzz

I moved your thread from Appliances-Electric to the Electric topic. I think these guys can help you out here.

Old 04-03-07, 03:02 PM
It is not against the rules to have your refrigerator plugged into a GFCI.

See this other thread about somebody who had substantially the same problem as you:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=298957

Old 04-03-07, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How old is the GFCI receptacle? If it's older than a few years, I recommend replacement of the receptacle; newer models have much better tolerance of compressor motors.

Old 04-03-07, 03:11 PM
Do not use an extension cord with the refrigerator. You are risking damaging the refrigerator and causing a fire.

Use a non-GFCI receptacle until you can have the proper dedicated circuits run for BOTH the freezer and the refrigerator.

Old 04-03-07, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
As stated an old question. I wonder if a solution not mentioned that might work and be code would be to add a simplex outlet next to the GFCI wired to the line side of the GFCI either in a seperate box or by replacing the GFCI's 1 gang box wit a 2gang box. Of course load on circuit as always would be a factor and the simplex outlet might need to be labeled as "non-gfci" if in the same box.

Old 04-03-07, 06:05 PM
As long as that circuit is not serving bathroom receptacles (which is quite common), and as long as the circuit has enough capacity, Ray's solution would be fine (although still not as desirable solution as installing a new circuit, if reasonably feasible).