Wire running questions

Old 04-02-07, 03:21 AM
Wire running questions

A couple questions on routing my cable to their destinations.

1. Can I run the following (4) cables through the same 1" hole or should I split them up?
#10-2 WG 30 Amp circuit for Hot water Heater, actual draw is ~19 Amps
#12-2 wg 20 Amp circuit for water pump, actual draw is like 6.0 Amps if I remember right. Well under 20 Amps I know that.
#12-2 wg 20 Amp circuit basement lighting, 2 Amps.
#12-2 wg same circuit as above but cable is for recepticles with water softener & (2) other general recipticles for whatever.

2. Can I staple the cables for my hot water heater & water pump together as I run them back to my main panel?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more of these questions as I go.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1" hole in what? If a stud or joist, a 1" hole may be too large and will degrade the strength of the stud or joist. If larger wood, you should be ok. If regular 2x4 construction, punch a couple of 5/8 holes. If you are talking a floor plate, a 1" hole will be ok, but you may need to install "no nail" plates on the face of the lumber to prevent the possibility of hitting the cables with a screw or nail if your hole is not dead center. Stapling the two cables with 9/16" staples is ok, just make sure the cables are run flat with each other, and don't staple them on edge.

Edit: I correct myself before I get bombarded. My brain was visualizing 2" holes, not 1". Sorry for any confusion. If there is no constriction in the hole by placing the cables, you should be ok with it.

Old 04-02-07, 03:59 AM
Sorry forgot to mention that. 1" hole is in 2x6 bottom plate & 2x8 Floor Joists. No restriction of the wire, it all pulled through pretty easily.

I'll have to check the size of the staples, but they went over both cables fine with out puncturing the sheathing, so I assume they are ok.

Old 04-02-07, 04:25 AM
Yeah, I mentioned the 9/16" staples because of the longer leg, and my fat fingers. Anything shorter, I wind up hitting my thumb with the hammer. Good luck with the installation.

Old 04-02-07, 04:49 AM
One further thing, after you drill the hole and run the wires, be sure to squirt some fire retardant caulking in the hole. I failed to mention this earlier since you are going through a floor. Code requires the hole to be filled to prevent the hole from becoming a chimney for fire.