Tired Of Wearing Wet Clothes

Old 04-04-07, 09:00 AM
Cool Tired Of Wearing Wet Clothes

I Have 3 Year Old Whirlpool Dryer That Is Not Drying. I've Checked All Of The Fuses And Thermostats On The Dryer, Using A Sperry 5-in-1 Scanner-tester. The 220 Outlet For The Dryer Was Tested And It Look Like One Terminal Was Dead. In The Breaker Box It Look Like One Fuse Was Dead. Problem=== Is It The Terminal On The Outlet, Is It The Fuse, Or Is It The Wiring. Clue==when Sandra Was Drying Clothes I Was Outside By The Exhust Vent And Smelled Like Something Was Burning. Answer Anyone. Oh 1 More Thing== Yes The Dryer Is Spinning But Just Turning Out Cool Air.

I MAY HAVE MISSED LED YOU I HAVE CIRCUIT BREAKERS. IT DID NOT TRIP AND THE DRYER DID NOT STOP RUNNING. IT JUST QUIT BLOWING HOT AIR!!!!!=====I HAD THE COILS CHECK AT AN APPLIANCE STORE AND WAS TOLD THAT THE HEATING COILS ARE GOOD.

Last edited by pleblancpands; 04-04-07 at 01:09 PM. Reason: THIS IS AN EDITED CRY FOR UNDERSTANDING
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-07, 09:10 AM
You need to take measurements and find the problem.

Measure the voltage at the output of fuses. If you get 240 volts between them then the fuses are fine. If not then one fuse is bad.

Measure the voltage at the input to the receptacle. If you get 240 volts then the cables are fine. If not then the cable is bad.

Old 04-04-07, 09:12 AM
Wink

The fuse first.If it blows again start and check the dryer out see what made it blow. check elements for short.

Smelled Like Something Was Burning.
Id go for the elements first then check the motor.

Old 04-04-07, 09:36 AM
I agree. You said the fuse was blown. So replace it. If it doesn't blow again, you're good to go. If it does, come back and see us again.

Old 04-05-07, 01:51 PM
Classic sign your only getting one leg of your power. The circuit breaker should be interlocked, so If you loose one leg, the other trips too. Measure voltage at the recpetacle again. Phase to Phase should be 240.

Old 04-05-07, 04:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turn the breaker all the way off. Then back on.
Check the discharge hose for a blockage. This could cause the problem and many others.

Old 04-05-07, 04:31 PM
Am I the only one who is wondering how the OP blew a fuse in a breaker panel?

If one of two fuses is blown, or one side of the breaker is bad, this could cause this problem.

I also am wondering how you had the coils checked. Did you take the dryer to the appliance store?

Old 04-06-07, 12:48 AM
i know it pretty late for me to step in on this one

if the OP did have breaker which the OP stated on there then you need a real voltmeter or neon test light [ get one rated for 250 volts ] and double check the voltage on the repectale you should get 240 between hot legs if not then a chance that the connection burnted in the repectale or dryer plug cord [ it do happend once a while ]

if you get full voltage there then good chance the heating element shorted out or have thermal [ heat ] fuse blew out to find this you either have the service tech person to come out and replace that thermal fuse or element or if you are very handy you can take the dryer apart to the element you will end up removing the drum [ this rather pretty common way ] but make the note of the wires connections some are marked and some are plain wires it can get confused there .

the cost of the thermal fuse is not very expensive i think about 20 buck or less maybe it change on the price wise.

but if the element is good and ohm'ed [ check for open or short circuit] this part have to do this with the power is off then if i recall on the motor itself it have specal switch in there to engane the heating element as well.

but first thing is get all the lints and dust all clean out good before you work on this part

if more question please do post it here

Merci , Marc

Old 04-07-07, 07:21 PM
another possibility is a bad contact in the dryers timer circuit. My dryer also has a switch that controls regular/permenant press. If the switch isn't fully made in either direction, it is open. The switch controls the heating element by switching off half of the element.